Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

The Vimoutiers Tiger - a history

Article about: by lebus12 On the first picture, it's me!(This picture is mine, but one time on the web, it's finished!) In the 60's-70's, I was every month in the Falaise pocket! Thank you Lebus for provid

Arrow

Latest images of the Tiger......taken a month ago early on the morning of the Vimoutiers Fair. It was still slightly misty and the sun wasn't quite up. Have to say that the Tiger is starting to look a little neglected : time for some TLC.........

?

It was supposed to have a revamp before Normandy 70th but it still hasn't happened Martin , i was there again last week !!

?

I would have gona there when I went to Normandy but my mom didnt want to drive 4 hours... LOL

?

Somewhere I have photos of me standing on that tank 2 years ago

Dean O
    Canada

If they couldn't raise the funds to freshen it up for the 70th, then maybe the 75th???

Lets hope they consult someone with knowledge of the correct cammo colours and pattern this time! !
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Excellent thread guys thanks for the info.. Cheers Terry.

I feel so sorry for the "Vimoutiers" Tiger. She has been totally neglected for years.

This is a genuine relic of the Panzer battles of 1944.

She should be now in her own Museum.

Yes, it's lovely to see a Panzer in situ, but with vandalism, the elements, and old age, how long will she last?

This poor once mighty lady should be given the respect she fully deserves.

This is a monument for all those that fought in the famous battles around Caen, unique and one of a kind.

Literally thousands go to see Tiger 131 at Bovington Camp, to see this early example moving along under her own steam

She should be stripped down, re-welded, given a good clean up, re-painted, and any genuine spare parts added.

I'm sure a fund could be set up to get ££$$ for this massive project. How many visitors would give a couple of ££$$ on each visit.

It can be done*, these relics should be given the protection they deserve, the French Government should make funds available.

Why should she be left to rot and rust, as the elements take it's toll. Enough is enough.

She is a magnificent beast, truly proud, and should be seen for generations to come.

This is what is needed:

* Panzertruppe Panzer Wrapper World War 2 Ace Uniform Panzerabteilung

?

Just an update , the Tiger is now fenced off and will shortly be moved to Saumur Tank Museum for an overhall . The bad news is it isn't going back outside it will be going into a Museum.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I'm pleased it is finally getting some attention but what a shame that another piece of history is getting caged. Removing it to Saumur will sterilise it.

It wont be the "Vimoutiers Tiger" any more.... weep.
    Last edited by Danmark; 03-02-2021 at 10:00 PM.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast