Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Visiting Belarus advice sought.

Article about: Hello everyone, After my great tour last year visiting Moscow, Stalingrad and Kursk in 2016 I am planning to visit Belarus. Most of my time will be taken up however I still have 2 days free

Default Visiting Belarus advice sought.

Hello everyone,

After my great tour last year visiting Moscow, Stalingrad and Kursk in 2016 I am planning to visit Belarus. Most of my time will be taken up however I still have 2 days free at the end when I will be in Minsk. Can I ask for advice of WW2 sites that are either in or driving distance of Minsk that are worth a visit and if there is any militaria dealers situated nearby.

Thanks in advance

Robin

?

Robin, firstly, enjoy your travels and stay safe. Regarding potential points of interest, I would suggest researching "The Great Patriotic War Museum" in Minsk itself. I have heard this is worth a visit. Also, located not far from Minsk is the former death camp Maly Trostinets, which features a recently opened memorial area.

Carl

Hello Carl,

Thanks for the tips. Already planned are trips to Brest fortress, Great patriotic war museum and Victory square im Minsk, Parts of the southern half of the Minsk Kessel, Stalin Line, Khatyn memorial, Vitebsk, and Berezina. However I still have 2 spare days and would like to visit sights that are away from the usual sites.

?

Not sure if we have any members from Belarus that could potentially help out...

Or perhaps Paul (moderator) may have some knowledge of the area..?

Regards,

Carl

?

I will speak to my good mate Pavel , he is originally from the Minsk area !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks Paul, any help would be great