Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Anti Aircraft site Bailey's Tump

Article about: Hi Guys, I came upon this site quite by accident. I was off to see a client and noticed what looked like a Bronze Age site in the midst of a housing estate??? I parked up and discovered it w

Default WW2 Anti Aircraft site Bailey's Tump

Hi Guys, I came upon this site quite by accident.

I was off to see a client and noticed what looked like a Bronze Age site in the midst of a housing estate??? I parked up and discovered it was an WW2 A/A site!

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Anti Aircraft site Bailey's Tump   WW2 Anti Aircraft site Bailey's Tump  

WW2 Anti Aircraft site Bailey's Tump   WW2 Anti Aircraft site Bailey's Tump  

WW2 Anti Aircraft site Bailey's Tump   WW2 Anti Aircraft site Bailey's Tump  

WW2 Anti Aircraft site Bailey's Tump  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I have to say seeing things like this really makes me miss England, there’s just history everywhere!

Quote by BodhiEtheridge View Post
    I have to say seeing things like this really makes me miss England, there’s just history everywhere!
    Yes there is. You just have to be able to "see it". Sadly, so many folk just blunder around totally unaware of the significance of that dirty old pile of concrete or the enormous mound of earth, obviously (if you pay attention) not natural but man-made by people with baskets and horn axes. And the 20th century stuff of pill boxes and tank traps? Well, that 's not even history an' stuff is it?

"Those who fail to remember....etc"

Thanks for posting Ade, it's great when you find stuff like that. Not a stately home or architechtural milestone but the history of the land all the same and no less fascinating

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-26-2020 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

"Bailey's Tump??"

Sounds like a very good name for a pint of real ale..

And lots of it too!

Great that it's been restored and it would be even better, if they could find a searchlight and put it back in situ.

Having preserved a few sites of similar nature it would be a really good idea to protect the earthworks with 'concrete sandbags. The problem is that the mounds become irresistible to the young on bikes or even motorbikes and then very rapidly deteriorate. Ah, the times we live in!

D.B. be careful of drinking too much Bailey's Tump the next days Bailey's Dump can be quite severe!

"D.B. be careful of drinking too much Bailey's Tump the next days Bailey's Dump can be quite severe!"

Oh dear, I never thought of that..