Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

101st patches

Article about: Have looked at Eagle Corner and still can't identify the period or types of these patches. Let me know what you think. Looks like the scroll and patches are not connected. One has a blue edg

Default 101st patches

Have looked at Eagle Corner and still can't identify the period or types of these patches. Let me know what you think. Looks like the scroll and patches are not connected.
    One has a blue edge and the others tan. Also how do I keep the pictures in the right direction? Have edited them but still turn the wrong way.
    Thanks
    101st patches101st patches101st patches101st patches

The 2 on the field jacket with the Warrant Officer insignia look to be "Type 14" based on Bando's book. They appear to have the "scribble eye". Many collectors including Mark Bando have come to the conclusion that these patches were most likely made and available at the end of World War Two BUT...this design had been used up through the Vietnam War. Type 14's can be identified by the very dark single line under the eye, which is prominent on your patch. Many believe that Type 14's are WW2 era patches but again these have been produced for many years after WW2 as well.

The second dark blue bordered patch is post WW2 but I can't recall which type this is based on Bando's assessment..

Phil Lockett is one of our most informed patch guru's on the 101st insignia and I have relied on his vast experience numerous times to properly ID some of the 101st Eagles I have which I have had trouble with over the years..

I am sure he will see this topic and post his most valued expertise..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Thanks Smitty, I didn't think they were WWII but could not place them based on the Eagle Corner. The blue still doesn't fit so will wait on Phil.

Thank you for the compliment Smitty.

I will say that i only follow what the known examples of WWII eagles v post WWII eagles , I dont follow the types-makes my head hurt!

The eagles are both post WWII late 50's-early 60's made and issued , as Smitty says they are scribble eyed , the khaki twill has extended , where as WWII they were cut back to the edge (All WWII SSI). The blue twill is typical of 1950's-60's pre merrow edge.

One of the biggest give aways is not the eagle but on CWO rank and above the pocket is a gold on Black US Army branch tape with a white embroidered khaki cloth jump wing c early 1960's.

The same manufacturers made the same style of patch on the same machinery and tape from WWII into the 1970's if they were around- but changed from Rayon to polyester thread, base colour twill etc...

I should add both are excellent period examples from late 50's to early mid 60's.

Nice pickups
    Phill

Phil, thanks so much for your and Smitty's response!! There are four patches on two different uniforms and two cold weather jackets. They are from the same warrant officer who was also in WW2. Working on seeing if I can get his jump jacket that his son has. He gave me the uniforms and jackets. Thanks again!!

Here is another shirt that I found this morning. Forgot it had the Ranger Tab and backing for jump wings!!
    101st patches101st patches101st patches

Hi LW

Nice Japanese made FWTS 4th Ranger Company (Korean War c50/51).

Its called a scroll, a tab is like the Airborne or small narrow gold on black Ranger tab

The individual was then currently serving 101 ,again post war eagle early to mid 60's.

Note this type of eagle and tab are cut back to edge and one could make a point of it being WWII however one would need provenance.

Also there were more variants of eagles produced post WWII from the late 40's into the 50's that can confuse or in that grey area of WWII/Post WWII era.

If you are after WWII stick to Bando's site.

Again you have an excellent period shirt and the star is the 4th Ranger Company scroll.

Phill

Thanks Phill, I have a small museum here in my county and many years ago I was given three shirts and this was the only one that had patches. One does look like it had rank at one time and has the same, what looks like silk around the collar. Working on a mannequin to put this one and just wanted to make sure I get everything correct. I am looking for boots and pants now, what would you recommend? Thanks again and once I get it together, I'll post pictures.

Hi LW

A lot of research,which is the heart of getting acurate detail and knowing what to get.
    Its up to the individual on what they want for their display, Smitty's 187th uniforms are a treat and acurate , if you can find his thread look under 187th and you can see the task at hand as well as inspiration.
    Good hunting
    Phill
    Last edited by Phill Lockett; 07-04-2021 at 06:17 AM.