Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

82nd Airborne Ike Jacket

Article about: Hello. I hope everybody is doing well during these times. I recently received this ike jacket, and mainly just wanted to receive some comments on it! I do not doubt the authenticity of the i

Default 82nd Airborne Ike Jacket

Hello. I hope everybody is doing well during these times. I recently received this ike jacket, and mainly just wanted to receive some comments on it! I do not doubt the authenticity of the ike jacket, but I am rather skeptical on the 82nd AA insignia piece on the left shoulder, as you are all well aware, those can be dubious most times thanks to Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. The owner provided he had owned this jacket for 25 years, and has well over 40+ years of dealing in WW2 US militaria which gave me some more confidence in this piece. Hopefully I would be able to receive some more word on it other than his and mine! Also, to note, the jump wings are reproductions and I found what looks to be a hankerchief in one of the pockets which is shown in the photos below. Thank you all for taking a look, and I hope everything comes back positive!

If any additional photos/information need to be provided, I would be happy to do so! (photos taken on iPhone, sorry!)

82nd Airborne Ike Jacket
    82nd Airborne Ike Jacket
    82nd Airborne Ike Jacket
    82nd Airborne Ike Jacket
    82nd Airborne Ike Jacket
    82nd Airborne Ike Jacket
    82nd Airborne Ike Jacket
    82nd Airborne Ike Jacket
    82nd Airborne Ike Jacket
    82nd Airborne Ike Jacket

The patch looks WW2 era to me, the placement of it is making me scratch my head though. I was never in the military, but I know from reading through the comments on here that the tab being that far away patch wouldn't stand. Also shouldn't there be an oval patch that the wings sit in as well? I'm not an expert with uniforms, but unless you can get "provenance" its best to assume an airborne uniform was put together due to the money they command. It is a nice looking Ike jacket and the other parts look good as well.

The "two-piece" 82nd AA insignia definitely isn't unheard of as I have seen and compared other two-piece examples. But, the owner makes a good point from the amount of time that it had been in his possession that this was at a time when people did not bother to reproduce, or "put things together". And it was only after such films that made 82nd and 101st items both quite popular, in a sense, among collectors and others. I also asked the owner about the oval, which he had to say not all units wore cloth ovals and that the reproduction jump wings were added after he sold it. Other than that, I'm glad everything looks good, and I appreciate the helpful insight!

What does the Combat Infantryman's badge look like from the back..

Smitty

Hopefully good? It's marked Sterling.

82nd Airborne Ike Jacket
    82nd Airborne Ike Jacket
    82nd Airborne Ike Jacket

I have a big problem with his statement:
    But, the owner makes a good point from the amount of time that it had been in his possession that this was at a time when people did not bother to reproduce, or "put things together". And it was only after such films that made 82nd and 101st items both quite popular, in a sense, among collectors and others. I also asked the owner about the oval, which he had to say not all units wore cloth ovals.(Note he had possession for 25 years).

I went to the Last Great Western in 1996 (Pomona East LA) and you had hundreds of guys dressed up to max with reproduction or put together uniforms for re-enacting purposes and all services were covered and Airborne lead the way!

And by my calculations that was 24 years ago, and they had reenactor clubs albeit not as widely known to the vast majority of non militaria people.

“Not all units wore ovals” true, especially early on in the war but that is an easy out. He should also have said I really dont know why this Ike doesn't have an oval however not all units wore ovals. I know its semantics but at least that is an honest answer.

Ask yourself this question what’s on his rack?

Those funny little tinctures.

Do you think that proud veteran would not want to add an oval while everyone else in his squad, platoon, Company, regiment of the famed All American 82nd when they paraded down 5th Avenue?

These are questions I ask myself and are red flags, to be looked into before purchasing.

To me he sold you a story without documented provenance and there lays the problem.

Phill
    Last edited by Phill Lockett; 05-15-2020 at 07:05 PM.

Hi Phill. I think you make many great points, a lot of which are definitely possible. The "statement" was more of mine and his words put together, and I received more information on the jacket through back and forth emails after I had received it. It was not the story or a statement that made me confident in purchasing it, and do not have any reason to believe he is being dishonest towards me; especially if things are looking good on the jacket so far (other than the oval problem).

If it would help any to further investigate this, I would be happy to PM you his message(s) and statements on this jacket in full. I only included a snippet as to provide some more backround information for people to read. I'm not sure the credibility of the site on this forum, or if it matters much, but it originally came from Blunderbuss Antiques. Hope this helps, and let me know if I can provide anything else!

I wasn't going to comment because I have seen this too many times.. This uniform was tainted the second reproduction wings were added to it, whomever had it last, but you said that the reproduction wings were added after the seller had sold it?? So how would you know what was originally on the uniform at the time he had it in his possession?? and how do you know the wings are reproduction? Re-enactors have been wearing these uniforms long before Private Ryan and Band of Brothers came out, I remember when "A Bridge Too Far" came out... An after party with some of the cast and extras were wearing quite a few of these Ike Jackets and other uniforms.... so whatever line he told you about people not bothering to reproduce or put things together is just dribble...

The PUC is missing an oak leaf. If he has these campaign credits on the EAME ribbon he would have participated in at least the actions for Ste Mere Eglise as well as Market Garden.. where the PUC was awarded (another red flag).. (82nd received 3 PUCs in WW2 (Chiunzi Pass, Naples, Foggia was only for the 319th GFAB, and 2nd Bn 307th Eng. as well as the 80th AA Bn and H Co. 504th PIR.

Based on the two sperate laundry numbers in the coat there is are 71 possibilities for C-5059 and 46 possibilities for G-0915. That would be 117 record requests to NARA and then the possibility of no records being found due to the fire is even greater..

I'm sorry but this is not a uniform I would want in my collection without more solid provenance.. It is just an unnamed uniform with bling added IMHO..

Smitty

I am more skeptical about the authenticity of this uniform than I am confident that it is original..

I edited my comment about the Purple Heart ribbon.. and added the other information about the laundry marks and PUC.. Still too many red flags for me...

One thing I would suggest doing is looking at the lining of the jacket where the patches are sewn on and see if there is stitching that would indicate patches had been removed at some point prior to the ones on the jacket being added.

I can agree with a lot of this. I do not know for sure the wings are reproduction, but I believe if anything else had changed on the uniform since his possession, that that would also be noted on the description. But again, I can't know that for sure since I am relatively unfamiliar with the dealer, for which I am to blame, and that I do not know where this jacket has been or who it has been in the hands of so I cannot speak for any of that other than "taking word for it", which isn't enough.

At this point, I do not know if it would be worth troubling for more information (true or not) out of him as this piece has already been purchased. Although, he was kind enough to offer a refund IF this is proven non-authentic via a signed letter "stating their opinion", not "just a downloaded comment from a person with an online identity", as he puts it. Thankfully, this jacket was not as much as you see other notable airborne unit memorabilia going for, but I believe it is enough to raise concern. However, he is not opposed to communication and I am sure would have more to say, which is a good sign as it's not just a "sold and done" situation.

Which auction house? The purple heart ribbon is on the 3rd photo under the jump wings?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast