Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British airborne helmet.

Article about: Dear members, I found this helmet and would like to buy it but before doing so, I would like your opinion on this British airborne helmet MK3. Markings are BMB 1944 size 7. Padding and webbi

Default British airborne helmet.

Dear members,

I found this helmet and would like to buy it but before doing so, I would like your opinion on this British airborne helmet MK3. Markings are BMB 1944 size 7. Padding and webbing seem fine too.
    Any comments are welcome.
    Thanks in advance

Yan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British airborne helmet.   British airborne helmet.  

British airborne helmet.   British airborne helmet.  

British airborne helmet.   British airborne helmet.  

British airborne helmet.  

To me the wear on the shell does not match the condition of the white head cradle webbing, the leather of the headband or the webbing of the chinstrap which all look virtually brand new.
    The black rubber padding around the headband appears to have age but I am not sure of authenticity.

Wait for other opinions I am happy to be corrected but I am not comfortable with this one.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-25-2020 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I had one of these years ago and I agree with Mark, the liner looks odd. Doesn't seem to fit properly, with a squashed crease suggesting it has been out of a helmet for some time.

Possibly post war refurbished with nos liner, paint is unlike any I have seen on a brit para lid. Could be official refurb or a parts built helmet
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thank you watch dog for your prompt reply and your opinion on this helmet.
    Make me hold the transaction and wait for more comments.

Thank you Anderson fro your reply. Two negative comments already. Let see if a third one will come.

Good morning jerry. Thank you for this detailed comment. I guess I will save money not buying it.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Possibly post war refurbished with nos liner, paint is unlike any I have seen on a brit para lid. Could be official refurb or a parts built helmet
    I have no doubt that the parts are original but they definately did not start out together.

I agree with Jerry that this is a NOS liner but it shows ageing of the rubber so certainly not fit for official refurb post-war. When this was done it was with brand new post-war (undated) liners.

These helmets remained in service until the "lightweight" composite helmet was introduced in the early '80s. They were re-issued many times and not always with a new liner, yuk (not so much Health & Safety stuff in those days. If it worked you didn't change it because it was grubby!)
    I still have my old HSAT which has vary little paint remaining now!

As for the paint on this one, the green looks to me like standard NATO textured finish that was quite often done within units and usually by blokes on "fatigues" etc. The sand colour I can say without doubt was done by "dabbing" it over the top of a net with a small piece of sponge or similar. I have done it myself. The point here is that this is a post-war practice. You could do it today and it would look just like this one does if you rubbed it with a hand full of soil and old oil.

The wartime liners do still turn up occasionally and the khaki webbing chinstraps moreso. As I say I believe the parts are all original but the whole is certainly messed with.

I could have said this in my first post but I didn't want to risk influencing other replies. Plus I am sometimes a bit concious of sounding too much like an "Old Sweat"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Here is some photos of mine to compare against .
    As the others have said , made up of NOS & post war parts.
    The paint job is a red flag to me 1st up , a bit like all the Heer helmets with snow camo & barbed wire for sale
    How much is this original gem worth for sale ?
    Hope this helps
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1414368

Attachment 1414369

Attachment 1414370

Attachment 1414371

Attachment 1414372

Attachment 1414373

Attachment 1414374

Attachment 1414375

?

Quote by Watchdog View Post

Wait for other opinions I am happy to be corrected but I am not comfortable with this one.

Regards

Mark
    It's funny the lengths people go to with a fantasy combat paint and weather job mate .
    Quite sad really and when you look and compare to the original inside, it makes it look even worse.
    Looks like they spray painted over a M1 net

Cheers Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast