Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Airborne helmet markings

Article about: Hi Philip, sorry I cannot. The collection has now been broken up and everything sold. Cheers, Ade.

Default British Airborne helmet markings

Hello!

I have a question. In this photo you can see a signs - flashes on his helmet.
    The front and right side of helmet. What british airborne unit wore these markings?
    I have never seen such a this flashes in front of british para helmets.
    Perhaps it is eagle on the front - the color yellow. and the yellow circle on the side of the sign 1st Batalion, 1st Coy (1st Independent Polish Parachute Brigade).
    ???

Original description under the photo:
    "Private Morris on guard with a Sten gun at Divisional HQ, Oosterbeek."

What is your opinion???

Default Re: British Para pics

I doubt if it is any marking, I think it is from the camouflage netting, or something on the photograph

?

Quote by Robspad View Post
    Hello!

I have a question. In this photo you can see a signs - flashes on his helmet.
    The front and right side of helmet. What british airborne unit wore these markings?
    I have never seen such a this flashes in front of british para helmets.
    Perhaps it is eagle on the front - the color yellow. and the yellow circle on the side of the sign 1st Batalion, 1st Coy (1st Independent Polish Parachute Brigade).
    ???

Original description under the photo:
    "Private Morris on guard with a Sten gun at Divisional HQ, Oosterbeek."

What is your opinion???
    Hi Robspad, this is my first post here and I pleased to say that it's my speciality. As the description under the picture says:-

"Private Morris, of Acton, London, takes aim with his Sten gun outside Divisional HQ at the Hartenstein Hotel."
    Note General Urquhart's pennant in the background. When the Division withdrew across the Rhine, the General's batman, Corporal Frank Hancock, untied the pennant and stashed it in his battledress, later presenting it to Urquhart, who was surprised to see it. The same pennant is now on display at the Airborne Museum Oosterbeek

Members of the 1st British Airborne Division did not have emblems or insignia on their helmets, except for the medics of course. There may have been some soldiers who may have created their own "helmet art" but this was more of an American thing.
    Pete. (ps great forum)

I am sorry to say that you are not correct Pete, not only medics had flashes some other units had also flashes on their helmets

Default Re: British Airborne helmet markings

Hi Pete, welcome to the forum!

Phillip is correct. Various flashes were painted on A/B helmets within the units of 1st A/B Div.

Other British Airborne units also used markings on their helmets. But all of this was done on a small scale and often tended to be earlier rather than late war.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: talking of the pennant, here it is.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Airborne helmet markings  

An original helmet with an RA flash in a collection in the South of France.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Airborne helmet markings  

?

Oops, how's that for a first post, Shot down in flames! I stand corrected and bow to your greater knowledge. Thanks chaps, do you have any such pictures of other helmet art?
    Thanks for the welcome by the way.

Yes, I confirm. I have seen many pictures of British paratroopers, where clear visible flashes on their helmets - in time Battle of Arnhem too.

Philip, it is not bright hesian camouflage netting.

Long look at a this enigma picture. I arrive at the conclusion that the only explanation is such meanings:
    It is a hole in the netting on the helmet. Helmet to be painted in bright color, netting on a helmet to be dark. Netting on a helmet have a holes (front and rear side).
    This is probably the solution this enigma photos.

I find in Roll of Honour battle of Arnhem one soldier MORRIS T.O, SPR, 21.09.1944, 9 (Airborne) Field Company. Is this be the same man as a soldier in the photo???

?

I have seen (in a private collection) a para helmet with a South Staffs "knott" flash on the side ...
    This helmet was a 100% genuine pick-up from the Arnhem battlefields.

Gary J.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    An original helmet with an RA flash in a collection in the South of France.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade

Can you get a better picture of this helmet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast