Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

British Denison smocks

Article about: Hi, Recon 3690 has this totally wrong and will confuse members. The Denisons issued were, as I classify them: A. 1st Pattern, one piece front and back, knitted wool cuffs, 2 varients with th

The vrry first version of the 59 pattern had the same colours/camo as the 54 version.
    I dont like looking at off site images too much as they often have spam attached, post pics direct to the site and I'll have another look at it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Default 1954 or 1959

Jolly good. Early 1959 still had 1954 pattern, but also full zip and nickel poppers. If this is the case it leaves little doubt I presume. Thank you. One picture of 28 attached here, the rest I won't bother. No spam in Dropbox.British Denison smocks

Quote by ARTE ET MARTE View Post
    Hi,
    Recon 3690 has this totally wrong and will confuse members.
    The Denisons issued were, as I classify them:

A. 1st Pattern, one piece front and back, knitted wool cuffs, 2 varients with the camo pattern, "painted" and printed. Issued 1942.
    B. 2nd Pattern, 2 piece front and back, no knitted cuff, printed pattern. Issued 1944.
    D. 3rd Pattern, 2 piece front and back, knitted cuff. Short zip. ( the first illustrated is this pattern, most are dated 1956 and made by George Davies and Co Manchester)
    E. 1959 Pattern, Full length zip, knitted cuffs, 3 or 4 distinct Camo patterns. ( The second 2 shown are 59 patterns )
    F. DPM pattern Camo smock.

thanks, Liam.
    Hi
    So all half zip Ds are post war?

cheers

Any thoughts on this label ?

cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Denison smocks  

This label look good ?
    cheers

The first smock is a post war variant.
    The second image is of a third camouflage pattern of the 1959 variant.
    The third image is of the fourth camouflage pattern of the 1959 variant.

There was the first pattern during WW2 and the second variant with no knitted cuffs.
    The post war variant up to 1959.

In 1959 they introduced the 1959 pattern.
    This introduced the full zip, not that previous smocks weren’t personalised.
    There was also the Windak smock as worn by Monty.

The first 1959 pattern used the same fabric as the post war variants and Admiralty Vocab variants.
    In 1961(ish) a new pattern was introduced.
    In 1962(ish) the pattern was changed again.
    In 1966(ish) the pattern was changed yet again.
    In 1967(ish) the 5th and final pattern was introduced until replaced by DPM.

The dates are subjective as the fabric had been made and sent to the smock manufacturers. They cut the fabric into pre designed shapes, in the 8 sizes.
    The tailors then picked the panels and made the smocks. Some smocks were missed matched and colour differences are obvious. Some have one shade on the front/rear panels but pockets in a different shade and sometimes different styles / variants on the same smock. Waste not, want not. There’s always the possibility of spare fabric used as a repair but it does appear to make use of remaining fabric.

The basic concept across the 1959 pattern range is that the front panels and rear panels are traditionally the same. They pivot at a central seam and pattern rotated. This is not always in the middle as the pivot point can be top or bottom, not necessarily the middle.
    It is less obvious when pockets are placed over the top.
    You can see this duplication quite clearly in the middle image.

If I can work how to add images, I can demonstrate this.

British Denison smocks

British Denison smocks

British Denison smocks

Post war 1956 Denison

British Denison smocks

British Denison smocks

British Denison smocks

Second 1959 pattern variant

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast