Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

British Smock and Trouser set

Article about: I need a hand with authentication on this set, myself and a friend are both after buying it however before either of us make any moves I’d really like to have you gentlemen look it over as

Default British Smock and Trouser set

I need a hand with authentication on this set, myself and a friend are both after buying it however before either of us make any moves I’d really like to have you gentlemen look it over as I’m no expert in this field. I’d love to start a mannequin with it, I’ve always wanted to do a British mannequin and I think this would look great.

Many thanks for any help,
    Bodhi

British Smock and Trouser setBritish Smock and Trouser setBritish Smock and Trouser setBritish Smock and Trouser setBritish Smock and Trouser setBritish Smock and Trouser setBritish Smock and Trouser setBritish Smock and Trouser setBritish Smock and Trouser setBritish Smock and Trouser setBritish Smock and Trouser set

- - ------- - -

Now I’ve been looking into them I must ask a follow up question, would this type of set make sense for a mannequin depicting a Brit during operation market garden?

Lightbulb

The originality of Denison smocks is yet another militaria 'minefield' which I won't get into.

ButI can't recall seeing any photos of Airborne men at Arnhem wearing the windproof camouflage trousers - ordinary BD is much more common ?

?

These were fairly commonly used during the Varsity operation, crossing the Rhine. It’s a smart look and would make a great late-war mannequin...
    All appears correct to me.

Thank you gentlemen! The help is greatly appreciated, I’ve definitely started considering trying to find a nice Denison Smock but it seems that’ll end up costing me much more than this whole set.

Hello Bodhi.

I am just throwing this out there, but have you thought about a French Indochina inspired mannequin. The reason I say this is because certain French airborne units used this type of smock and trousers in the 1950s.

Rolling Thunder, 6e BPC, Operation Castor, Dien Bien Phu 1953

Dien Bien Phu: August 2013

Sorry, I can't find the source of this below image -

Kind regards,

Will.

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Hello Bodhi.

I am just throwing this out there, but have you thought about a French Indochina inspired mannequin. The reason I say this is because certain French airborne units used this type of smock and trousers in the 1950s.

Rolling Thunder, 6e BPC, Operation Castor, Dien Bien Phu 1953

Dien Bien Phu: August 2013

Sorry, I can't find the source of this below image -

Kind regards,

Will.
    Often, but certainly not always, the French used smocks were modified by removing the hood and adding a collar and full-length zipper. I would love to find a set

Quote by earlymb View Post
    Often, but certainly not always, the French used smocks were modified by removing the hood and adding a collar and full-length zipper. I would love to find a set
    Yes, modified and unmodified sets were used.

Here is a picture of medic Patrice de-Carfort wearing a smock, it still has a hood, but it looks like it may have had a zip added.