Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

BSA WW II Airborne Paratrooper folding bike help

Article about: Hi. I recently bought this frame and components at a local yard sale in New Jersey. What I now know as the Tommy-bar on the stem struck me. I was extremely surprised to discover that this is

Default BSA WW II Airborne Paratrooper folding bike help

Hi. I recently bought this frame and components at a local yard sale in New Jersey. What I now know as the Tommy-bar on the stem struck me. I was extremely surprised to discover that this is a WW II Airborne Paratrooper folding bike!

It is from about 3/4 into the production run (serial # is in the low 50, 000s).

My two questions are:

Is there a way to figure out the exact year this bike was manufactured from the serial #?

Is it possible that the cranks and pedals are from an earlier version of the BSA folding bike? I noticed the pedals are not the spindle-only type, however, mine do look like the pedals some has on their BSA WWI folding bike.

Thanks for the help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BSA WW II Airborne Paratrooper folding bike help   BSA WW II Airborne Paratrooper folding bike help  

BSA WW II Airborne Paratrooper folding bike help   BSA WW II Airborne Paratrooper folding bike help  

BSA WW II Airborne Paratrooper folding bike help  

?

what a great find, I am after one myself, I think your crank is correct for the ww2 version, just the pedals are replaced, probably cost a small fortune for an original pair, though I do believe they are being reproduced. I am sure there is a site on the web I was looking at a while back.

couple of 26 inch wheels and a coaster hub and your away!

justbackdated
    ?

A very nice find. From the pictures it seems to be completely original with the obvious exception of the pedals. It was quite common to remove the 'peg' type originals and thread the hole to fit standard pedals as has been done here. The cranks are the originals with the correct bosses and hole for the spring and plunger. The brake levers, calipers and cables, handlebars, tommy bar and grips are all original too, very lucky to find so complete. The wheels were standard BSA off the shelf components used during the war and can occasionally be found on civilian bikes. I can provide pictures of the correct type. The frame has suffered a frontal impact at some time, note the 'lozenge' shape is a little out. Hope that helps a little, cheers!

Quote by JohnF View Post
    what a great find, I am after one myself, I think your crank is correct for the ww2 version, just the pedals are replaced, probably cost a small fortune for an original pair, though I do believe they are being reproduced. I am sure there is a site on the web I was looking at a while back.

couple of 26 inch wheels and a coaster hub and your away!
    Thanks, John. This one is for sale. See the for sale section.

Quote by tbirdbuzz View Post
    Thanks, John. This one is for sale. See the for sale section.
    Sorry. I posted it for sale on another page. I am asking $795 plus shipping.

Quote by justbackdated View Post
    A very nice find. From the pictures it seems to be completely original with the obvious exception of the pedals. It was quite common to remove the 'peg' type originals and thread the hole to fit standard pedals as has been done here. The cranks are the originals with the correct bosses and hole for the spring and plunger. The brake levers, calipers and cables, handlebars, tommy bar and grips are all original too, very lucky to find so complete. The wheels were standard BSA off the shelf components used during the war and can occasionally be found on civilian bikes. I can provide pictures of the correct type. The frame has suffered a frontal impact at some time, note the 'lozenge' shape is a little out. Hope that helps a little, cheers!
    Thank you for your detailed analysis. I did not notice the frame being bent a little. I am actually trying to sell this bike. It is not in the realm of bike I enjoy collecting, but I couldn't pass it up, being such an unusual find. It stuck out like a sore thumb at a yard sale in New Jersey.

justbackdated
    ?

That's cool, it is the possible basis of a very nice restoration with just wheels & pedals to sort, oh and a BSA saddle of course!! I wonder how it got to NJ??!! I would think it is a very rare bike in the US even in collectors hands. Good luck with sale :-) I am off to Arnhem with mine.

Default Hello, I'm from Holland, are you going to Arnhem/ Oosterbeek this September?? I have a airborne bike to in original state, except the crank set.

Quote by justbackdated View Post
    That's cool, it is the possible basis of a very nice restoration with just wheels & pedals to sort, oh and a BSA saddle of course!! I wonder how it got to NJ??!! I would think it is a very rare bike in the US even in collectors hands. Good luck with sale :-) I am off to Arnhem with mine.
    Hello are going this year also, 2019.
    I'm from Holland and have a airborne bike to. The only thing that isn't original is the crankstel, cheers Joop