Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Mmmm... they are certainly all hollow and made of Bakelite so must have been open somewhere originally.
    Interesting regarding the debate on perhaps not being official.

Ok, I managed to open the base and you’ll never guess what was in there?
    Sod all..... but it’s still a lovely item.
    Thank you for all the info. More knowledge is always a good thing.

BEWARE FAKE E&E items on eBay... The current Cog Wheel game on eBay is more than likely a fake. I have seen real items and they are nothing like this. Everything is wrong but the game itself - which is genuine... Numerous fake E&E garbage being pedalled on eBay of late. A recent Maps Only pouch, compasses in footwear heels, etc. etc.

There is enough info out there to decide what is real, and what is being pushed by either mislead innocent sellers, or unscrupulous bandits trying to rob those less aware collectors.

If in doubt, post some questions on this forum and ask the ‘opinions‘ of your fellow collectors...

Meekumstr, did the brush have the compass recess in the base? All the Leng brushes I have ever opened have the platform, only some have compasses. Some have had compasses (still have glue residue) and one has the original hole drilled out and a non standard compass hidden under a false base.

Personally, I believe they May have been produced to house MI9 (or similar) compasses (if not actually BY MI9) but May have been an early prototype which was shelved as the compass is not concealed in any way if opened, so it was decided not to continue with them as escape devices.

But since the “compass recess” EXACTLY fits the MI9 compass, it does suggest this was the intended use? Also, I have seen a number which almost certainly have WWII vintage compasses fitted - fitted during WWII I mean - One is hidden under an old soap stick, which would have concealed it, if opened by the enemy...

But then I cannot believe MI9 would have later allowed Leng brushes to continue to be sold/issued Without compasses, as the obvious compass mounting recess would equally have given the game away...

So I can only believe they were unofficial items, like the escape buttons made by Aspleys in London, or even those made by Gieves and Hawkes... but again, you would have thought that If MI9 knew about these, they would have shut them down as a serious security risk - as with the Aspley escape buttons?

Answers on a postcard please...

What I find interesting about the brushes is that the majority have either been glued or have a very tight fit yet they have a screw thread which suggests that the end should have come off for some reason. I can only think, like you, that this was some well intentioned private enterprise and once massed produced had to be issued due to the restrictions of war production but with nothing in them and the ends stuck on. Individuals have then found out they unscrew and then put their own compasses in them.

Well, what do we have here?

This is an incredibly rare full set of maps covering northern Norway. I have never seen any of these maps before, never seen a full set of maps for sale before and never seen a set with a small map index/key before so I was very lucky to get them.

The construction of the maps is very interesting. They all correspond to a small silk hemmed edge index map. This is 24.5cm x 18.5cm and details the names and sheet numbers of the maps with the exception of a map covering Karesuando. This map would appear to have the sheet number (Z11F) and is 1:200,000 scale. It is of the early style map with simple detail and a hemmed edge. Despite it being different to the other maps it is clearly part of the series as it is mentioned on the index. The other maps are 56.5cm x 44cm and are a mix of hemmed edge and heat sealed edge. Despite their different constructions they all correspond to the index map.

The maps themselves are Geographical Section. General Staff. No 4090 (GSGS 4090) maps, dated 1942 and are of Norway in 1:100,000 scale (with the exception of Karesuando). This series of maps is mentioned in Dr Barbara Bonds’ book ‘Great Escapes’, however, the maps that I have do not correspond with the maps that she has listed either by location or sheet number.
    In Dr Bonds book it states that it is believed that these series of maps were created specifically in order for allied airmen who were shot down to try and reach neutral Sweden. It also states that aircrew flying damaged aircraft were briefed to try and reach southern Sweden, therefore, it was possible they were issued during pre-flight briefings for crews who were only flying over Norway or adjacent parts of Denmark or Germany. However, my maps cover the very top of Norway boarding Finland. Given that this is a full set which is clearly meant to be together I wonder whether it was issued to aircrew who were involved in the bombing of the Tirpitz. The location of her sinking is not a million miles away from where these maps cover and I am aware that the bombing mission was on the edge of the aircrafts operational range so it’s not inconceivable that damaged aircraft may have to over fly rather than attempt a return journey. The only other possibility is that it was for aircrew delivering aircraft to Russia, however, I do not know what route they would take. Either way, that that an index map was specifically produced would suggest that at least a small number of these maps were produced.

I can find no other information on these maps or why they were produced at this time. If anybody has any further information I would be interested to hear.
    I will try and show the individual maps in separate posts.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Last edited by Grimebox; 12-15-2018 at 04:30 PM.

The map index
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Map showing Karesuando. Scale 1:200,000. Hemmed edge and simple details. It is shown on the bottom of the index map. It would appear to be sheet ZIIF

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Sheet V3 Repparfjord. Interestingly this is a first edition map

Sheet V4 Stabbursdalen.

Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast