MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Sheet V6 Skoganvarre
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Default Leng shaving brushes

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    Sheet V6 Skoganvarre
    I agree, there seems little doubt the recess and platform were made for a compass (MI9 or other), the question is, were the compasses found in them today actually fitted during wartime? Certainly a couple I have look to be period items, but you just never know...

Love the Norwegian collection! Where did you bag those?! Is this the full set for Norway? Fantastic!

Quote by Truebrit View Post
    Love the Norwegian collection! Where did you bag those?! Is this the full set for Norway? Fantastic!
    The set covers a relatively small area in northern Norway but they are all linked to the small index map. They were clearly made / put together for a specific task/operation. They were purchased off of eBay as the set and worked out to be about £10 a map so I’m very happy! There wasn’t a lot of information on the listing and the photos were a little blurry but I’m glad my gamble paid off.

Default Norway maps

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    The set covers a relatively small area in northern Norway but they are all linked to the small index map. They were clearly made / put together for a specific task/operation. They were purchased off of eBay as the set and worked out to be about £10 a map so I’m very happy! There wasn’t a lot of information on the listing and the photos were a little blurry but I’m glad my gamble paid off.
    d

Great Catch!
    I agree, they are likely to have been produced in support of a specific air, ground or SOE type of operation. You will have to start digging...

Well the plot thickens regarding the Norwegian maps. I have been in contact with Dr Barbara Bond via email and it would appear that there are no records to indicate that they existed, however, she needs time to check her research notes. I am hoping to meet with her in February so that she can see the maps in person.

Having spent some time researching the locations of the maps I am more inclined to believe that they were something to do with the bombing on the Tirpitz. The aircrew would have had to fly over this area, however, more intriguingly are the below comments on the Wikipedia entry:

In a second attempt at establishing an agent group in the area, the Norwegian SIS agents Knut Moe and Anton Arild were dropped by parachute into the wilderness between Kaafjord and Alta on 8 September by an American Operation Carpetbagger Liberator. During the drop the agents became separated from most of their equipment, with the exception of the radio transmitter. Without weapons and equipment, the agents were forced to relocate to the village of Bossekop, where Moe's mother lived. The radio transmitter operated by the SIS team, codenamed "Aslaug", was operational by 13 September, sending weather reports to the United Kingdom every other hour. As well as reporting on the weather, Moe and Arild radioed assessments of the damage Tirpitz had suffered in the air attacks prior to Operation Paravane. Local contacts helped the agents in spying on Tirpitz before and after the 15 September attack. By the time of the attack, Moe and Arild had established an observation post overlooking Tirpitz's anchorage in Kaafjord..........

..........Moe and Arild made their way on foot across the Finnmarksvidda plateau to Kautokeino and from there through Finland to Karesuando in Sweden, arriving on 5 December. The agents carried out the march without resupplies of food, as Operation Carpetbagger had ceased using Soviet airbases after a Liberator was inadvertently shot down by a Soviet fighter during a follow-up operation to Finnmark shortly after the insertion of Moe and Arild

Is it possible that these maps were produced for this SIS team?

Operation Paravane - Wikipedia
    Last edited by Grimebox; 01-05-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Not exactly escape, evasion or survival but helpful in the circumstances - A pocket guide to Iraq by the US military dated 1942.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

A similar guide to Iran

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

A US guide to Italian

And finally, not much use against the enemy but it might prevented a couple of yanks from getting a pasting during the war!!!

Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast