Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

My mind actually boggles! I find it incredulous that people are parting with this kind of money for the items listed in the auction mentioned in the above post. Who are they and where do they get their money from? They are clearly not collectors with any sort of common sense, I can’t believe people are willing to part with several hundred pound without doing even the slightest bit of research or use of common sense (for example the domino, why would anything be produced with a map that is of a scale that is absolutely of no use). Why pay £340 for a fly button compass which can be picked up for around £50 - £75 and two commercial compasses which are less than £10?

I have to say that I commend the auction house for getting the bids they are, if you have a look and some of the other dodgy items you’ll be amazed at the bids. At this rate I could sell my collection and walk away a millionaire.

If anybody who bid on these items ever looks at this thread then I’m sorry to tell you but all of the below are fakes (with the exception of the fly button compass which is just grossly expensive). There were other fake items as well but I have just shown the ones with the ridiculous bids.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

I totally agree, its simply Junk! And as you say, just a tiny bit of research would have saved these people a Lot of money! The dominoes are just a joke! Wrong map, terrible joints and a Nail through the centre holding it together... Give me Strength!! I contacted the auction house twice and told them this was all fake junk (maps and maybe some blades apart) but they came back saying that an "Authority" on this subject had guaranteed everything... Our favourite faker springs to mind here, if he is not involved, I would be amazed!

It would be interesting to know who the “Authority” was. I’d suggest that since you wrote the book on it you’d be the authority!!!
    I didn’t realise at the time but the auction was still ongoing. The domino sold for £800?!!? Given the number of downright fakes, suspect provenance and suspect items it makes you wonder who is involved. Of course there could have been shill bidding to try and raise the price of further fakes

For a while I logged into the auction and a number of times the auctioneer mentioned sales going to the USA. Maybe a museum with more money than knowledge or a collector who just wants the gadgets and is happy to buy what he sees... Problem is, people hear that MI9 concealed things in Dominos or chess sets, then they see a domino or chess set here with concealments and immediately believe that is what they are seeing...

Another example of a map pouch issued to aircrew. As can be seen it has a slightly different font and size of lettering from the other example I have. It came with Sheet C/D and A/B of the 43 series.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

RAF “SPECIAL RATION” Type B. Stores Ref. 27P/20. Originally contained boiled sweets, gum, tablets etc.

A small booklet of 18 pages of a type that I haven’t seen before. Words and Phrases in French, prepared under the authority of the Director of military intelligence, April 1944.
    Given the date that it was produced I can only assume that it was issued to troops for D Day.

A rare and unusual British ‘blood chit’ booklet. Designed so that the pages or ‘chits’ could be easily torn out. It covers the Middle East and Russia.

This is a fascinating thread! I just want to thank y'all for the wealth of information here! I'm a new member, so I've been slowly perusing all the categories on the forum. I've always been interested in E&E items. I don't have a whole lot of E&E, but I have a few things. I'll have to post them on here one day to see what you think. I'm envious of the carrier pigeon vest and leg message capsules. I've always thought those were cool. Also, I appreciate seeing the photos of the chaff. My grandma lived in Wiltshire during the war, and she'd told me about that being dropped from planes. Had never seen a picture of it before.

I found a few of my E&E items. I have a couple more things, but they're all packed up and I'm not sure in which box. These three were easy to get to today.

Escape and Evasion Map, Philippine Series, C-43 Mindanao Island and C-44 North Borneo, 1944 (Front and Back)

Elwell Aircraft Escape Axe, 1945

"27 N/I" with three-lined arrow symbol, Middle Section of Axe Intact, Rubber Grip, Tested 15000 Volts, Patent No 515767

With the axe, I've seen some with the middle section intact and some with the middle cut out. Does anyone know why, or if it mattered to have it intact or not?

WWII Taylor US Army Paratrooper Wrist Compass

The wrist compass isn't like the E&E button or buckle survival compasses, but I thought it still fit this category since it was important to paratrooper survival once they were dropped in.

When I eventually find some of my other stuff, I'll post them.

Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... LastLast