Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Nice to see your purchases in your thread
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Another example of an escape compass. Although not very clear in my terrible photos it has slightly domed glass and is fractionally smaller than other examples I have.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Whilst my compasses were out I thought I’d photo them all together
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Excellent!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Just in case anyone who views this thread is interested in this map (although I hope not at this price!!!!) I just want to make sure you know what your buying. The map was one of three identical maps that were sewn together with red cotton that I originally bought. I don’t know why they were sewn together but it was clearly not military related and more than likely was someone’s post war sewing practice or attempt to make a scarf (although it was a bit wide).
    As I already had a good example of the map I unpicked them and sold them separately.
    Whilst I feel that the price is very high I have no qualms about it, I bought the maps cheap and made a good profit which I have subsequently spent on more militaria! That’s the way business and collecting works. What I do fall out with is the slightly misleading description, especially given that the buyer/seller asked me why there were the sewing holes. As you you can see, not an out and out lie but misleading.

WW2 Escape Map France & Spain H2 & D | eBay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

An English Japanese phrase book. Undated but from the period, possibly pre war or just post war occupation.

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Going back to the previous post. I have had one or two in the big collection I sold which had stitch holes down one side. No thread left in them.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Going back to the previous post. I have had one or two in the big collection I sold which had stitch holes down one side. No thread left in them.
    With regards to maps I think any stitching would most likely have been done post war (with the exception of an unpicked hemmed edge). Maps were turned into various things including dresses, neck ties and cushions. I have a map which has been turned into a place map and egg cosies (as previously shown). Unissued ‘silk’ maps came in paper sleeves (as shown) or map wallets, the tissue maps came sandwiched between pieces of thick paper. I think when comments are made with regards to maps having been sewn into clothing it is that the map, folded, has been sewn within the lining as opposed to physically sewn on to the piece.

Attached Images Attached Images Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more! 

Whilst not SOE/escape and evasion specific this Signal Training Pamphlet details how to care for and send messages with a pigeon. It is pictured with the message capsule as shown in the diagram

A post war book (1950) which details all of the pigeons who displayed “meritorious performance”. It’s very interesting and amazing how many pigeons were used and how few made it back.
    (Apologies for the order)

Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast