Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

A copy of ‘Point it out’ with a blue cover. I have a copy with the red cover, however, I have never seen one with a blue cover. I think that the blue one must have been civilian/non military judging by the comments inside the red one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

AAF Cloth map - Asiatic series sheets 34 - South East China and 35 - North East China. These US maps carry a lot of detail especially regarding currents as there was a higher probability of ending up in the sea in the Far East.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Bayonet fighting and close combat for Royal Marines 1943

A small booklet outlining physical exercises and close combat training for Royal Marines.

This is an interesting map which I’m not sure is from WW2, however, it shares similarities with wartime produced maps and looks nothing like the post war standardised escape maps.
    Mozambique was a Portuguese colony during WW2, however, there were operations in Madagascar so it’s not inconceivable that a map would have been required.
    I did see one for sale with some other post war maps and bits and pieces that appeared to be from the 60’s. There was a war of independence in the 60’s/70’s which the British were involved with so it may date from this period.
    I have only ever seen a couple for sale so it would appear to be relatively rare

Similarities with other wartime maps. It would appear to be most closely related to Sheet K of the 43 Series

Once again, I have a few maps coming up at work on Monday. Nothing rare but all mint unissued.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Once again, I have a few maps coming up at work on Monday. Nothing rare but all mint unissued.
    I may have acquired a couple of things

First up is a late war or early post war wire saw

I have been after this variant of silk map for a while, however, they have been quite pricey in the previous sales. I got this one for a good price (although the subsequent identical map went for less, just my luck!)

It is 9.C.a and 9.U/R. Sheet 9.U/R has notes for escaping as opposed to Sheet 2.B. Which does not have any notes. They are also a different scale

I have shown 9.U/R alongside 9.U and 2.B and the three variants of 9.C.a

And finally I managed to pick up a variant of an escape compass that I didn’t have. I have shown it alongside the standard variants

A group shot of my compasses (I think that’s all of them!)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast