Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Supak British Airborne beret

Article about: I would like to get some help identifying this, what I believe, is Supak British Airborne beret. I am not sure as to it being WW2 era or post WW2. The stamp, date, WD/ broad arrow markings a

?

Default Help with Supak British Airborne beret

I would like to get some help identifying this, what I believe, is Supak British Airborne beret. I am not sure as to it being WW2 era or post WW2. The stamp, date, WD/ broad arrow markings are faded and well worn. But according to the past forum post “WW2 Supak Berets” started on 06-02-2014, this Beret matches some points and some does not.
    I am asking for some help and opinions and confirmation on some of my thoughts as to being of WW2 era or post WW2.

Help with Supak British Airborne beretHelp with Supak British Airborne beretHelp with Supak British Airborne beretHelp with Supak British Airborne beretHelp with Supak British Airborne beretHelp with Supak British Airborne beretHelp with Supak British Airborne beretHelp with Supak British Airborne beret

post war example. points to note, Queens crown cap badge, internal pocket to accommodate slidered cap badge , manufacturers post war lettering style. WW2 Supak berets had smaller letters with full length overlining. going off the pic a number five looks part of the date.

?

Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

for reference, WW2 lettering.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Supak British Airborne beret  

Post war beret with post war badge, is it claimed as being WWII?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Badge looks to be aluminium too and the early anodised aluminium badges had a slider rather than lugs which came later (I used to wear one with a slider in the mid '70s). Also, factory blackened badges which this appears to be were issued much later (private purchase were available earlier) with the first blackened badges worn in Northern Ireland being painted by the troops themselves. Chris Marsh's book "Anodised Aluminium" lists a lugged badge as "1980s" which is correct but is misleading because it omits the earlier slider type of which thousands were issued.
    Still a nice beret just not wartime.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thanks for all of your help. When I got it, the collector didn’t know if it was WW2 or not. The worn stamps inside made it hard to determine. He said it may be post WW2. But as you said, it’s still a nice beret.