Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Jump Wing 1 opinions

Article about: Hello guys, I have found 2 Jump Wings. Both marked but very different. Also de closing of the pins are different. I hope you can tell me what I have got here. I will post them in seperate th

Default Jump Wing 1 opinions

Hello guys,

I have found 2 Jump Wings. Both marked but very different. Also de closing of the pins are different. I hope you can tell me what I have got here. I will post them in seperate threads. Here is the first one.. Thanks in advance

Jump Wing 1 opinionsJump Wing 1 opinionsJump Wing 1 opinions

I suspect yours is a sweetheart badge, made for the Home Front, rather than an official military one. One of my great grandmother's ATS pins has the same pin and hook attachment, and is marked for the same manufacturer.

Jump Wing 1 opinionsJump Wing 1 opinions

Regards, B.B.

Nice looking J.R. Gaunt US paratrooper wings..

The J.R. Gaunt company made a lot of US insignia for wear on US military uniforms.. I have several pieces made by the company that were worn by the US military while in England during the war. Collar brass, branch insignia, Rank insignia, jump wings, glider wings and even US Marine Corps insignia...

Very nice looking wings..

Smitty

Smitty beat me to it! Both examples the OP posted look to be good examples of jump wings. The sweetheart wings Brodie refernced, from the examples I found, looked less refined and more to the general outline of a pair of jump wings.

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Nice looking J.R. Gaunt US paratrooper wings..

The J.R. Gaunt company made a lot of US insignia for wear on US military uniforms.. I have several pieces made by the company that were worn by the US military while in England during the war. Collar brass, branch insignia, Rank insignia, jump wings, glider wings and even US Marine Corps insignia...

Very nice looking wings..

Smitty
    Yep, I agree.

When I posted a reply in the 2nd wing thread I suggested they were both US made. Obviously not paying attention whilst using my mobile phone outdoors as I have a similar Gaunt type in my collection and now on my desktop the Gaunt marking is clear. For anyone who doesn't know, as Smitty says, JR Gaunt made many different badges for the US Forces in UK. The company has long been a maker of badges for the British Forces.

Once again; both perfectly good badges and as with most badges there are quite some number of slight variations in desiign and attachment, just like the TR badges that many collect by maker!

Here are my two pieces similar to those posted in the two threads by the OP.

Regards

Mark

PS I'm pretty sure the Gaunt type is a cheaper version made from something other than silver. I guess the blokes were penny concious even then!!

Jump Wing 1 opinionsJump Wing 1 opinionsJump Wing 1 opinionsJump Wing 1 opinions
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-12-2018 at 05:37 PM. Reason: missing words
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Every Airborne collector love's a JR Gaunt in their collection!

Phill