Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jump wing question

Article about: I have a question about dating US jump wings. I know that ww2 era jump wings had a pin back and that post war wings used clutches but when did the change over actually happen? I have a frien

Default Jump wing question

I have a question about dating US jump wings.
    I know that ww2 era jump wings had a pin back and that post war wings used clutches
    but when did the change over actually happen?

I have a friend that lost his wings in a house fire and I want to replace them for him.
    He earned his wings in 1952. Would they have had a pin back or clutches? Also, am I right
    in assuming that all issued wings from that era are sterling?

Thanks for your help,
    Greg
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Not sure but try this Company, they helped me with my Fathers Medals from Vietnam, I've actually been there doing work before, Good luck ! G

Military Service Awards & Apparel | Medals of America
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Jump wing question  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Thank you.
    gregM

myself around.

I am not aware of any particular order date that mandated the switch. There were insignia with clutch-backs during WWII (CIBs, various aircorps wings, airborne, etc), but the most common, for jump wings that is, would be pin back. Clutch back would be appropriate for the 1950's

Thank you
    gregM

myself around.

Greg,

You can go with either pin back or clutch back wings for the Korean era. There was an abundance of surplus pin back wings left over from WW2 and these were used during the Korean war as well as the clutch back versions as well..

I have several 187th Airborne dress uniforms that have both pin back as well as clutch back wings on them and these are all original uniforms..

If he served in Korea see if you can find a pair of Japanese made Sendai Wings.. These are appropriate and many of the paratroopers and glidermen that served in Japan and went to Korea to fight had these wings on their uniforms...

Hope you are well

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Thanks Smitty,
    I appreciate your help.
    gregM

myself around.

Sendai wings!?!? Holy cow Smitty, are you trying to put chopperman in the poorhouse? Haha

I’ve been trying to find a a pair of these wings for a while now, but they are always way more than I would like to pay. However, I am a cheapskate, so……..

Hi Eagle...

I guess I got lucky when I picked up my Sendai wings, mine were on uniforms already (on a few of my 187th uniforms) with all Japanese made insignia but I was also able to pick up some loose pairs (glider and airborne) along the way..

Best regards,, stay safe

Smitty

I'm not looking for anything "over the top". I just want something that would be
    close to authentic. I think I've found an original airborne oval and I want Sterling wings
    not just a set of new issue cheapies.

He is not aware that I'm doing this, I just thought he might get a kick out of having his wings back.
    gregM

myself around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast