MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Lightweight Anti Gas Respirator with a little surprise

Article about: I haven't posted anything here in quite a while, so I thought I might show what is now one of my favourite pieces in my collection. I purchased it from ebay about a week or so ago, for two r

Default Lightweight Anti Gas Respirator with a little surprise

I haven't posted anything here in quite a while, so I thought I might show what is now one of my favourite pieces in my collection. I purchased it from ebay about a week or so ago, for two reasons. The main one being that it was an early Light Anti Gas Respirator variant that wasn't re-issued to the Danish following the Second World War, which is quite a common thing to find with most examples on the market. Looking at the single photo on the auction I could tell that its been to battle and back, based on the fact it was in a rather rough condition and had all the accessories that one would expect to find with a mask that has seen active use. This included the carrier packed with eyeshields, an anti dimming kit and an unusual and insignificant looking little piece of brown folded paper that instantly grabbed my attention..... This little brown thing was the icing on the cake for me and ultimately convinced me that I had to win the auction just in case it was what I thought it might be...

Well, I won the auction and patiently waited for the parcel to arrive at my parents house and for them to open it and send me some photographs. (I live away from home and I can't really have parcels of old anti gas kit arriving every week )

Here's the photograph I was sent:

Lightweight Anti Gas Respirator with a little surprise

Well, for those who have worked out what the little brown thing is, I suppose you can say it was a steal for a tenner

And for those who don't know, its an Anti Gas Brassard/Armband. These were made out of paper impregnated with a chemical that changed colour when gas was present, alerting the wearer and those around him to the presence of gas. Because of their quite famous use by Airborne units, both American and British, they are quite sought after items. And also because of their fragile nature, and the fact they were more of a disposable item, they are quite rare items. So I don't think I did that bad at all, so it goes to show that ebay can be fantastic if you know what you're looking at

Another interesting thing about this set is that it is named to Lieutenant who served with the Royal Army Service Corps, which was one of the Corps that merged with four others to form the Royal Logistic Corps in which I currently serve At the moment researching him and hoping to find out a bit about him and where he went during the war, so I'll update this thread with anything that I find.

Thanks

Danny

?

Default Re: Lightweight Anti Gas Respirator with a little surprise

A nice set you have there Danny & for a tenner you can't go wrong..it would cost you that just for the bag normally..Also I didn't know you are in the Army..good lad..I served 23 years....PM me if you want some tip top soldiering advice lol..... Cheers Terry.

A very nice buy! I was lucky enough to get three of these in a gas mask bag many years ago.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/equip...292/#post40504
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Danny, a wonderfull Find as always.Keep going with your gas mask collection

Nope, wouldnt have identified that arm band off the top of my head. Just shows a little knowledge goes a long way, and also shows that often, the right item goes to the right person

Thanks very much for the kind comments I'll be posting an article about it on my new website which is currently in the works

Thanks

Danny

aw, what a nice one! Good for you
    The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead.
    The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function:
    without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it.
    Ronalnd Spiers -

mpw
    ?

Very interesting item. I have learnt something today and look froward to your forthcoming website.

Mark.

Thanks for the kind comments, the website is now largely complete however I'm waiting to hear back from Avon Protection to get confirmation on some of the information I've posted, when I do I'll post a link to the website on here

Thanks

Danny

Congrats Dannyfantastic find for a fantastic price,well done indeed..............