Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

My shot down Uncles docs.

Article about: My Uncle was shot down over Germany pilot of a B17,when they were bombing the crap out of Germany towards the end.He was able to eject and stayed hidden for a few days until captured and sen

Default My shot down Uncles docs.

My Uncle was shot down over Germany pilot of a B17,when they were bombing the crap out of Germany towards the end.He was able to eject and stayed hidden for a few days until captured and sent to POW camp.He lived through it and wrote a diary of camp life from notes hidden in his shoes,I have everything as he had no kids to leave it to.After the camp was liberated he found his files.capture photos etc, and kept them.Here are a few pics.His last meal of german sour bread he kept ,its petrified now.A knife he made from a piece of plane shot down over the camp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My shot down Uncles docs.   My shot down Uncles docs.  

My shot down Uncles docs.   My shot down Uncles docs.  

GREAT history TC! Thanks for sharing. Was he held at Magdeburg? He or someone close to him looks to have documented his experience rather well. A great piece of history. Best regards.

Brian

EDIT: just saw his POW i.d tag.

My shot down Uncles docs.

MAP
    ?

This is great. Lots of history here.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

He was shot down over Nurnburg,plane was on fire,he said officers and pilots were treated better than most were in the camp but it was no Hogans Heros,thin soup and sour bread and meat if you could catch an occational rat.Here are some of his silver wings and patches and bible.He brought back some
    german stuff,will post pics when I get time.I have his dress uniform and "crusher cap"cap seen wearing in photo.Just saw the info on the camp Brian, thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My shot down Uncles docs.   My shot down Uncles docs.  

Very interesting thread
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.