Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

No 1 (Guards) Independent Parachute Company

Article about: Up to now, I've never bothered with Para-related items, and my knowledge of berets is limited. But a few days ago I came across this maroon beret which is badged up to the No 1 (Guards) Inde

Default No 1 (Guards) Independent Parachute Company

Up to now, I've never bothered with Para-related items, and my knowledge of berets is limited. But a few days ago I came across this maroon beret which is badged up to the No 1 (Guards) Independent Parachute Company. I'm assuming that it might be private purchase - as there is evidence of a makers label having been removed, and the beret lacks the eyelets which appear to be a common feature of MOD issue berets. The beret was pictured under natural light, but the wear to the lining looks much more pronounced on the pictures than it actually is. The badge and backing plate have left their impressions on the cloth, but again this is difficult to spot in the pictures. Overall in very nice condition. Click on pictures to enlarge.

No 1 (Guards) Independent Parachute Company were formed in 1948 after the 6th Airborne Division was disbanded. They themselves were eventually disbanded on 24th October 1975, although a platoon of Guards Para's are attached to 3 Para.

Cheers,
    Steve

No 1 (Guards) Independent Parachute CompanyNo 1 (Guards) Independent Parachute CompanyNo 1 (Guards) Independent Parachute CompanyNo 1 (Guards) Independent Parachute CompanyNo 1 (Guards) Independent Parachute CompanyNo 1 (Guards) Independent Parachute CompanyNo 1 (Guards) Independent Parachute CompanyNo 1 (Guards) Independent Parachute CompanyNo 1 (Guards) Independent Parachute Company

Hi Steve,

I tried to reply to this when you posted it but ever increasing forum IT issues got in the way!

I like this one and "private purchase" was very much the norm in the British airborne from the early '70s until the reintroduction of the leather band berets with a much smaller crown in the late '80s - early '90's. The market leader was Victor's of Aldershot although there were more as the years went on. Henri Du Bora also of Aldershot was another popular supplier second to Victor's.

Everyone passing through Depot The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces hated the awful fabric (nominally silk) issued items and would be seen dead wearing one! So, on qualifiying (having already bought one in most cases) they would immediately adopt this type.

If by any chance you decide this one doesn't fit your collection you know where I am!

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately (for you), I shall be hanging on to this beret for a while. Please accept my commiserations in the manner they are meant - concerning your difficulty in posting a reply. I myself had enough issues, just trying to put the post together... the forum really does seem to be tottering at the point of no return!

My first attempt saw me logged out when I tried to attach the first photograph, and I was told I didn't have permission and would have to log back in. My second attempt also went West with the first. Having lost all my text on my previous two attempts, I logged back in, started the thread with the title, attached the photos - and then composed the text.

Cheers,
    Steve