Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Oh My.. The Find of the Year!

Article about: Wow !

Default Re: Oh My.. The Find of the Year!

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Donating items is tough... I wanted to donate my Japanese T90 helmet from Iwo Jima... but a lot of people on this forum dissuaded me. Often, donated items sit in museum storage and never get displayed.
    What you say above is ABSOLUTELY the truth. I volunteered for 2 years donating about 8 hours 5 days a week--going through and doing what needed to be done with the entire History's collection from the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History--and about 98% of all their items never have been on display--much of it is various militaria from all over the world--many many muskets, firelocks, flintlocks, swords, bayonets, lids, uniforms, awards, insignia--etc etc etc. I tried to get them to put some on display--fell on deaf ears. They have at least 3 fully functional machine guns in their collection.

Quote by NDShooter View Post
    Thats why I would have to make sure something like this was used and displayed, before I gave it away.
    The folks who operate the USS Lexington Aircraft Carrier Museum here in CC--tried for years to get me to donate or in the least--let them borrow my Imperial and WWII German collection-to add to what they have on that ship. My first thing was--why German? and another--I worked long hours to earn the money to buy that stuff with--donation was out but I would have let them display my stuff without problems. The one gig deal with me is--why would they want German stuff to display? when it's displayed at other venues here locally?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    What's worse is that I've heard of museums selling off their inventory to stay "in the black" or fund other projects!
    Absolutely true. I witnessed loads of stuff going out and being traded for fossils, rocks and flat out--CRAP. Also, employees steal artifacts and or simply misplace them. I saw the loss of a good portion from the Blucher Collection as well as from a Spanish shipwreck.

How much would you need to sell it all? I'm REALLY interested in it. Message me

?

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Re donations to museums. The National World War II Museum is not a small "provincial" museum it was designated by Congress as America's National World War II Museum in 2003 and is affiliated with the Smithsonian Institution. In 2012, the Museum started a $300 million capital expansion campaign called The Road to Victory... so the likelyhood of it selling collections to stay in the black are remote. Most museums have rotating displays so it is not uncommon that collections are not on permanent display. You could contact them ask them what their collections policy is, they may even purchase collections just as the Imperial War Museum here in Britain does if the collection is unique and fits their collection strategy.

But of course the collection is yours to do with as you wish
    Not to argue, but what is the affiliation with the Smithsonian ? That doesn't mean anything.
    When you donate anything, that is if they will accept the donation, it becomes their property to do with as they see fit. That includes selling anything that they don't want. The fact that it all came from one individual doesn't mean anything to museum management. They will deacquisition everything that they don't want and despose of through sales.

Well, Like I said before I would really like to try and help out the son of this paratrooper. So, selling it would be the best option. I hate to do it, because I'll never run into something like this again.

any jump wings with stars?

Nice collection . But on the other subject of donations to museums. There is an alternative. You can give them on long term loan to a museum. But make sure you keep proof of ownership. I once donated a load of Northern Ireland conflict related artifacts to the Cheshire Regimental Museum in Chester. They never made it to any display cases. Never again!

?

Wow, an outstanding time capsule!! Top quality items all to one owner. I personally dont think I could even force myself to sell it......this is something any collector would dream of finding and displaying with pride. Definitely not something to be wasted on a Museum, thats for sure. Congrats and good luck my friend!
    Thanks for sharing this with us, a real gem.

yes please tell us the price you seek for the whole kabit and kaboodle!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast