Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Para beret

Article about: Hi Guys picked this up from auction today amongst a load of military hats is it anygood? What date would you put on it please? Thanks

Quote by airwarrior View Post
    Just looking at beret again where badge was. It definitely matches ox and bucks badge the only thing didn't they have a green felt backing cloth ?
    That is correct but often this was hand sewn by the soldier (no time to have it done by the regimental tailor in wartime?) and it is likely that some may have only been held in place by the badge so the absence of the backing as well as the badge is not a deal breaker.

However, just about all the WWII Ox & Bucks beret badges I have seen (authenticated as such) have been fitted with lugs rather than a slider as was obviously the case with this beret. There are perfectly correct slider types from before, during and after WWII which were designed for the peaked cap (visor cap) but have always been worn in the beret too.

Many other regimental cap badges were represented in the British Airborne and just about all corps. It is just that the particular marks left on this beret make the prospect of 'D' Coy Ox & Bucks a tantalizing one

Without provenance there are many badges that would fit the pattern some closer than others but it would be nice to have a perfect match in a period badge

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Photo of behind badge area.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Para beret  

It looks good to me. The ā€œNā€ would date it to 1943

I like it, well done.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

agree, looks a good one and 1943 is an early example, any that pre date D Day or Arnheim attract a premium
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks guys I love it .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2