Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

parachute ID

Article about: Hi all anyone help ID this small chute only around 5ft across, marked with a round stamp followed byS.L thanks guys

Default parachute ID

Hi all anyone help ID this small chute only around 5ft across, marked with a round stamp followed byS.L thanks guys
    parachute ID

parachute ID

?

Hard to say, maybe for some sort of cargo or supplies

Cheers that’s what I thought but couldn’t find anything on the net, then when you start looking you get the research bug and can’t settle until you know what it is ��

Small shutes are often Illumination Flare shutes...or possibly drogue shutes for bigger shutes (they pull out the larger ones).....'just a thought.....

Looks to me very much like an 81mm mortar "para illum" flare chute as used with the British L41A2 81mm mortar, the round would be the L54A1 if memory serves but it's not the kind of thing one tends to see much of after the round has been fired so it tends to be something you see pinned to a board in the training wing if at all!

I think the US Army call the same system the M252. The Canadian Army use it too but I don't know their nomenclature. It is also used by quite a few other armies in NATO or westrn allied / supplied. Manufacture is everywhere from UK to India!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

....exactly what I said ....... :-)

Thanks guys really helpful cheers everyone