Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Parachute wings ww2?

Article about: Hi guys, could i get a second opinion on this badge please? It came to me from a lady that collected badges during the war, but im not sure on this one:

Default Parachute wings ww2?

Hi guys, could i get a second opinion on this badge please?

It came to me from a lady that collected badges during the war, but im not sure on this one:

Parachute wings ww2?Parachute wings ww2?

Some might say yes, but to me this is post war, but as I mentioned not all would agree. For me, wartime wings have horizontal weave, but I have seen some that have angled threads such as this one. The open mesh backing is a feature of uncertain date for me. All in all, I would be happy to say post war, but maybe not by much.

I hope this was a clear and concise and helpful post Ed......
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

A similar backed wing with diagonal weave which had mixed replies.

Two Wings and a Light Bulb - British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I hope this was a clear and concise and helpful post Ed......
    ha ha

Thanks Jerry!
    Thats pretty much what i thought about the horizontal weave too, and rightly or wrongly i would have assumed post war for that reason only. However, the lady from whom i received the badges, served with the ATS from 1941 and she said that she collected badges ONLY "during the war", but maybe her memory is playing a few tricks.

Incidentally i have just spotted a very similar one sell on ebay, I havent had any dealings with the seller before so cant comment, but they seem to think WW2
    But again, it may just be to try to get the higher price:

Original WW2 Airborne Parachute Para Cloth Wing Badge | eBay

Unfortunately the seller has been offering a number of iffy badges amongst his offerings and though once he used to have a reputation for selling original (if not often over priced) items this is no longer the case. I would say that as it attracted so many bids that makes them good, but some of his recent fake items attracted good prices which only really proves that there are still plenty of dumb buyers out there.

As an aside, at a recent fair a seller had what he called early post war wings and wanted £120 for them, as you might assume, I walked away without them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by jerry b View Post
    early post war wings and wanted £120 for them, as you might assume, i walked away without them.
    He's probably following my tactic of putting a ridiculously high price on things I dont actually want to sell, so the wife thinks its for sale, and i can keep it....... win win.

Quote by bananamafia View Post
    He's probably following my tactic of putting a ridiculously high price on things I dont actually want to sell, so the wife thinks its for sale, and i can keep it....... win win.
    I think you are not alone in that tactic Ed.
    Regards,

Jerry

I picked this wing recently, mesh backed but with the textbook horizontal stitching, sold as early post war. Came with a wartime lightbulb badge for parachute trained troops not serving as parachute troops, mostly issued to glider borne troops.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Parachute wings ww2?   Parachute wings ww2?  

Parachute wings ww2?   Parachute wings ww2?  

Parachute wings ww2?  
    Regards,

Jerry