Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Paratrooper / airborne bugle ww2

Article about: Hi, Can someone help me with this bugle? I believe it a British Army bugle but not sure whether this is original WW2, post war or just a replica. Many Thanks Pisaufi

Quote by toot View Post
    they are only good for reenactor's only!
    Not even that really as such items were never used by the army. They could be used to decorate a themed Pub perhaps!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I agree not a military bugle as the marks are missing but, I am a bugler and can say the bugle in #1 is a playable instrument, where as the pub wall hanger Rick posted in #6 is not. Let's not forget the bugles used by the Imperial Indian Army were made in India. I've seen Indian made bugles used by the NZ Army during WW2. So not every bugle from the "sub continent" is bad. Something to look for is the mouthpiece which in the replicas are unusable. Post #1 has a real mouthpiece, secondly replicas are usually copper coated brass, whereas the real bugle will be copper pipe with brass bands.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I agree not a military bugle as the marks are missing but, I am a bugler and can say the bugle in #1 is a playable instrument, where as the pub wall hanger Rick posted in #6 is not. Let's not forget the bugles used by the Imperial Indian Army were made in India. I've seen Indian made bugles used by the NZ Army during WW2. So not every bugle from the "sub continent" is bad. Something to look for is the mouthpiece which in the replicas are unusable. Post #1 has a real mouthpiece, secondly replicas are usually copper coated brass, whereas the real bugle will be copper pipe with brass bands.
    That's a good point and something that could confuse an unwary collector even further as proper mouthpieces are sold separately in musical instrument shops. I wonder if the one under discussion here may have simply had a proper item fitted in place of the fake one?
    Plated brass versus pure copper is something I am very aware of in terms of materials and I have to say that I have seen plenty copper types and don't recall ever seeing a plated brass one here in UK as that would have to be "mint" for it not to be obvious which kind of defeats the object?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

so what is the conscience now? a good one or a fake? now the post get's one thinking, just Mabie! great fact's presented!

Quote by toot View Post
    so what is the conscience now? a good one or a fake? now the post get's one thinking, just Maybe! great fact's presented!
    the badge is a fake, regardless of if the bugle now has a proper mouthpiece, it is still bogus imo

here is a war time Indian made instrument
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Paratrooper / airborne bugle ww2  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Here's a wartime made Indian Bugle used by NZ Army during World War 2, now in the Auckland War Memorial museum collection (donated a might add in the 1980's).
    Maker marked to Nadir Ali & Co, Meerut 1941. There was a large British Army base in Meerut, North India for a very long time during the Raj. I've seen these with NZ Forces marks.

Here's a wartime made Indian Bugle used by NZ Army during World War 2, now in the Auckland War Memorial museum collection (donated a might add in the 1980's).
    Maker marked to Nadir Ali & Co, Meerut 1941. There was a large British Army base in Meerut, North India for a very long time during the Raj. I've seen these with NZ Forces marks.

same maker as the one I posted before this one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Paratrooper / airborne bugle ww2  
    Regards,

Jerry

The one you posted Jerry looks like an American pattern.

Quite different to the British (and Commonwealth) Duty bugle in B flat.

The one you posted Jerry looks like an American pattern.

Quite different to the British (and Commonwealth) Duty bugle in B flat.
    you could be correct, it certainly does not match the British example I own, though is clearly war time Indian made. Interesting
    Regards,

Jerry

Together the size difference is obvious
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast