Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

SOE pencil dagger, silk escape maps and escape compasses

Article about: Another USAAF map (apoligies for the blurry photo) and a very unusual map!! I recently purchased the 'Sheet E' map, the seller stating that he got it from an elderly neighbour who use to wor

Default Re: SOE pencil dagger, silk escape maps and escape compasses

Another USAAF map (apoligies for the blurry photo) and a very unusual map!!

I recently purchased the 'Sheet E' map, the seller stating that he got it from an elderly neighbour who use to work for a printers. The map is in pristine condition, although it appears to have been folded in half at some point in it's life (as can be seen in the pictures I had to weigh the corners down as it wants to roll itself up, despite this it is made of fabric, probably rayon or similar). What makes it very unusual is the fact that it has not been trimmed and has not been printed on the other side (I have photographed the blank side but it did not want to upload?!). As far as I am aware (unless somebody can tell me different) the Sheet E map is double sided with Sheet F (the top half of Italy) on the oppisite side. In one of the images the edge of the map can hopefully be seen, there is a white border around the map which is where it should have been trimmed, the excess around the edge is an off white/cream colour with traces of the original printing ink.
    I can only summise that this map was either 'removed' half way through the printing process (I would have thought this unlikely given the security surrounding escape equipment) or was left uncompleted for some reason and found in back office/cupboard post war. I have had a good look and can't find any printing errors, however, until I get the double sided version I can't compare them.

Great thread. Thanks for posting.

I know of only one other set of 'button compass' ! It belonged to a friends father
    who was a WWII RAF pilot flying Spitfires in the Mediterranean Theater. He flight
    trained in the States (Florida) and wore both U.S. and British wing insignia.......
    Regards,

Steve.

Some more escape maps I picked up recently along with another compass (The A / B map has unfortunately faded but is still a nice piece)

Another map! This time G and H from the 43 series covering Greece, Turkey, etc.
    A Carrier Pigeon message capsule which would have been attached to the pigeons' leg and a Far East survival booklet which gives lots of helpful advice as well as photographs of the 'locals'!.

Received today - a mulberry leaf 'tissue' escape map. It is late war as it shows most of England and Wales, it is shown with its early war counterpart which is printed on silk. They are exactly the same image other than the removal of most of England and wales and the moving of the key and scale.
    I have shown some close ups which hopefully show the differences in the material and how fine the tissue is.
    I have also shown both the silk and tissue maps with their adjoining maps (France and Germany). It is interesting to note that they are of different shapes.

An RAF 'Blood chit' - If you were unlucky enough to be shot down or crash, then you showed this to the 'locals' and hoped that they may assist you in evading capture.

Hello I have a book that is marked on the inside cover " Top Secret" it details all the workings of M19 and all of its escape aids. each item is described and photographed in detail. It also features sections of the different maps and how they were made. It detaills the fictitous clubs that were set up to distribute the stuff.

It has a leter from Churchill. My great uncle worked for a family printing firm in London and he produced this book and there were only ever 5 copies produced and distributed to the top at M19 and one copy to Chrurchill.

None of these books have ever been sold and I can only trace one other copy which aparently belongs to the National Trust somwhere

You can contact me on 07967 967053 chris@ch4e.co.uk

?

Wow amazing,sounds very interesting! Any chance of some pictures of the book and pages
    perhaps?

I have pictures in a power point presentation not sure how I load it here sorry

Sounds to good to be true!! Please could you take some pictures of the book and post them on the forum (its very easy), I'm sure the readers of this thread would be very interested.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast