Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

SOE pencil dagger, silk escape maps and escape compasses

Article about: Another USAAF map (apoligies for the blurry photo) and a very unusual map!! I recently purchased the 'Sheet E' map, the seller stating that he got it from an elderly neighbour who use to wor

Default Re: SOE pencil dagger, silk escape maps and escape compasses

SOE pencil dagger, silk escape maps and escape compassesSOE pencil dagger, silk escape maps and escape compassesSOE pencil dagger, silk escape maps and escape compassesSOE pencil dagger, silk escape maps and escape compassesSOE pencil dagger, silk escape maps and escape compassesSOE pencil dagger, silk escape maps and escape compassesSOE pencil dagger, silk escape maps and escape compassesSOE pencil dagger, silk escape maps and escape compasses

The M19 book has over 90 pages detailing all sorts of escape aids and also the techniques used to manufacture the different maps. It also explains how "dove" and "naughty" parcels were sent and even has copies of stamps from German POW camps to acknowlege delivery of a parcel. Two fake companies were set up to send the parcels to entertain POW's Prisoners Leisure Hour Fund and Licenced Victuallers Sports Association there are copies of the company letter head in the book. The book also details uniforms than can be turned into civilian suits. There is no title on the cover and no editer details. The book was printed by C&E Layton for whom my great uncle worked

Looks like an amazing book. Is there any chance of you showing the pages which mention the uniforms and how to change them into civilian clothes?

Another recent addition - A rare Russian 'blood chit' which is a lot less common than the Far East 'blood chit'. This one is quite fragile and is made of Rayon.

Another silk escape map. This one is interesting as I already have a silk map marked 'H2' which covers Spain and the Balearic islands, however, on the reverse is the South of France, on the recently aquired one the reverse shows North Africa. Although the printed images of Spain are identical the maps are different sizes and are edged differently. Both are made of silk.

I also aquired another pair of escape boots, greedy I know, but I got them for £45 at auction! The boots appear to have been stored in an attic for some time and have been resoled. They are unfortunately minus the knife (like the other pair I own), however, both sets of laces (they are different) are metal tipped. Allegedly the metal tips were magnitised so that they could be used as compass. Some laces also contain a metal wire for use as a saw, neither lace has wire inside.

And now for something very special and unusual! I bought this silk map along with the North Africa map above. I have never seen a map like this before. It is printed on silk and is identical in construction to others that I own, however, it details a complete escape route giving instructions on how to reach Switzerland. It also shows the escape route taken from Oflag VII C. From the little research that I have done it appears that the first successful escape by a prisoner of war from a camp in Germany was made from Oflag VII C.
    I can only assume that this is a very early escape map, which would have 'smuggled' into P.O.W camps (as opposed to being carried by aircrew) as it appears quite naive to write word for word the journey that an escapee should take.
    (Apoligies for the order of the pictures but my computer doesn't like the new server and it won't let me drag the pictures!)

?

Very nice hard to find items.

Another escape map. This one is marked T.1 and T.3.
    T.1. covers Turkey and the Black Sea and T.3. covers Egypt and Syria. It is hemmed around the edge and is made of Rayon or similar.

Another Rayon escape map. Marked 43/K it covers South West France and Portugal. It is interesting to note that it has not been printed correctly and is 'wonky'!

Having had to dig through a couple on boxes of my collection I thought I'd take the opportunity to photograph again some of items already shown, for my reference as much as everybody elses!
    First up is the 'blood chits' photographed with a ruler to give you an idea of the size. I have also shown the largest escape map in my collection (Sheet G / H of the South East Asian Theatre) alongside the smallest (H2 covering Spain)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast