Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

st nazaire raid help needed

Article about: hi guys need some help on this , i have some medals and paper work , but it is a bit of a mystery to me the guy is a driver, but was a the raid in Nazaire see paper work and news cutting ,

Default st nazaire raid help needed

hi guys need some help on this , i have some medals and paper work , but it is a bit of a mystery to me the guy is a driver,
    but was a the raid in Nazaire see paper work and news cutting , ALL I CAN SEE IN HIS BOOKS IS THAT HE WAS IN THE RAOC , Attachment 1616725Attachment 1616726Attachment 1616819Attachment 1616822
    Last edited by firefox; 10-28-2022 at 06:23 PM.

I righted your images as it is very difficult sometimes to read sideways. When you take the images, you may have to resize them just a little bit in order for them to post straight and not go sideways..

I can't really comment on the Soldier's service as I am not versed in British Military Operations that well.

Hopefully someone can piece together the story for you.

Best

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture st nazaire raid help needed   st nazaire raid help needed  

st nazaire raid help needed  
    Attached Images Attached Images st nazaire raid help needed 

I don’t believe that he was at the St Nazaire raid (Operation Chariot), but rather part of the BEF retreating in 1940.

For more information see here: Operation Aerial - Wikipedia

thank you for the reply on this it is a big help have posted his pay book notes and release book it has the airborne stamp ??

Attachment 1617023Attachment 1617024Attachment 1617025Attachment 1617026Attachment 1617027

this should help to pin point if he was or not , i.am not that good on working out the dates , big thanks to all to help on this

i read the link ,, dates say june ,1940 in the paper cutting it says first to arrive in September that would be 10 months he would have been there ???? or he would have been there 3 months , after the evacuation ????

Operation Chariot was 28/03/42. I see nothing to link this man to the raid, although he clearly had an eventful war and visited a few places

St Nazaire Raid - Wikipedia

thank you for the help on this , there are some good points to take in , this will need some one to take it further and see what turns up
    big thanks to all

Not much more to clear up. He arrived in France with the BEF in late September 1939, as the Germans advanced and the BEF fell back to evacuation ports on the Atlantic coast your man was sent to St Nazaire to destroy British trucks left behind by the departing BEF troops. He left on one of the last ships to leave in June 1940 shortly before arrival of the Germans. That's about all there is. But as Grimebox has already pointed out this is not related to the British Commando raid on St Nazaire in 1942.

Maybe I’m being a bit delicate, however, I don’t feel that we (as a forum community) are here to authentic items so that someone can make money from it, especially when that advice is ignored. Personally I feel that it’s bad form.

WW2 Medal Group & Paperwork St Nazaire Raid and airborne links ??? | eBay

WW2 Medal Group & Paperwork St Nazaire Raid and airborne links ??? | eBay
    Last edited by Grimebox; 10-30-2022 at 01:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast