Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Airborne wing variation's

Article about: thanks guys so someone has taken post war jump wings & added arrow heads to them to replicate / fake the WW2 version or could they be replacements / reissues did this ever happen for any

?

Default US Airborne wing variation's

hiya guys these came today 7 different variation's of the US airborne wings but i need a little help i know the extra stars are awarded for number of combat jumps with the max being 5 stars represented by 1 single gold star but 3 of mine have arrow heads as well but cannot seem to find out what these are about does anyone here have a clue thanks for any help in this matter

Airborne Parachute Badge
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Airborne wing variation's   US Airborne wing variation's  

US Airborne wing variation's   US Airborne wing variation's  

US Airborne wing variation's  

kristoffer
    ?

Default re: US Airborne wing variation's

Hi,
    I think that they put an arrow on their jump wing if they took part in Operation Overlord, how old are your jump wings, are they makermarked?

?

hiya
    these are the backs of the wings with the arrow heads the only markings are D 22 & im pretty sure these are post war issue that's why i only got them for £4 each
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Airborne wing variation's  

?

oh come guys 28 people have looked at this thread but only one has tried to help me out am i asking to much

The arrow head represents taking part in an Invasion.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Nick,

I can tell you that D-22 is the maker identification for Denmark's Military Equipment Corp., New York, New York. You are correct, the "D-22" designation was used post WWII - Korean War era. The pins on all are electrostatic welded (not hand soldered) judging by the lack of solder around the bottom and the very tidy small circular bases on them. Though this process was around since at least the 1930's I believe, but it was a very costly one to use except on very large profitable jobs. Only with the advent of technology did it become feasible and cost saving in industry for mass production, but that was after WWII. Hope this helps.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

To add to what has been said before. The invasion arrowhead would have been used by the 82nd troopers who jumped into Salerno and Normandy. The 101st would wear them only for Normandy. The stars represent combat jumps. To earn a basic Parachustists badge you have to complete the basic Airborne school while assigned to an Airborne unit, or if you were a participant in a actual combat jump. Add a star to the wing and you are a Senior Parachutist. To get that you have to have 30 jumps to include 15 with full combat load, 2 night jumps, to mass tactical jumps. Have been a jumpaster of a stick and graduated from the Jumpmaster Course and finally been on jump status for 24 months. To earn the Master Parachutist badge (the one with the wreath around the star) you have to have 65 jumps to include 25 jumps with full combat load, 4 night jumps (one of which you have to have been the jumpmaster of a stick), five mass tactical jumps of Battalion size or larger, graduated the Jumpmaster's course and been on jump status for 36 months.

The combat jump stars are now regulated as follows, one jump is a star in the middle, two jumps= a star at the base of each wing, 3 jumps= middle and base of each wing. Four jumps= two stars on the base of each wing and finally if heaven forbid a soldier should ever get up to 5 jumps he gets a gold star in the center of the shroud lines.

Cheers
    Gary

And of coarse there are the unauthorized versions as well. I
    can not find them at the moment but I have a set that have
    a LRRP banner on them. When I find them I will post them.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

It appears that someone has taken post war wings and applied jump stars on them. Interesting but no historical or monetary value.

Hi Steve,

Combat Jump stars are still authorised. I am not sure about Invasion Arrowheads however.

Gary
    Quote by SteveR View Post
    It appears that someone has taken post war wings and applied jump stars on them. Interesting but no historical or monetary value.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast