Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Where is this patch from? 11th AB DIV 1947 - 1952 187th & 511th Paraglider Hat Patch??

Article about: My dilemna.. My grandfather was with the 187th as well as the 511th 11ABDIV. I see the common Paraglider Patch with the 11th.. Blue Back Ground, White Paraglider Symbol.. and Red Border.. Th

Default Where is this patch from? 11th AB DIV 1947 - 1952 187th & 511th Paraglider Hat Patch??

Where is this patch from? 11th AB DIV 1947 - 1952 187th & 511th Paraglider Hat Patch??

My dilemna.. My grandfather was with the 187th as well as the 511th 11ABDIV. I see the common Paraglider Patch with the 11th.. Blue Back Ground, White Paraglider Symbol.. and Red Border.. This picture has me a little confused.. He was Infantry enlisted in 1947... but this Paraglider Patch on his Cap.. It seems to not have the Red Border like the others I usually see with the 11th ABD. It looks like it has a white border.. or possibly the cross stitching is so thick it consumed the red border?? Or.. its a different color sequenced Paraglider Patch that I am unaware of. At the end of his enlistment in 1952.. he was with the 511th AIR Support Company.. Any help would be appreciated.. Thank you in advance

?

Patch looks like your standard US made paratrooper cap patch. The white border appears to be hand stitched threads, not uncommon for the period. Airborne troops in general seem to have had a think for customized stuff. Great looking picture by the way

Sorry I am just seeing this topic..

Your Gfather was a 187th vet.. Nice to meet a fellow Rakkasan.. As Gel65 has stated, this is the enlisted version paraglider patch worn by troopers on their garrison caps. Not uncommon to see variations to the patch. Infantry guys sometimes would take light blue piping and sew that around the border to indicate their affiliation to infantry. The red standard border was a favorite for the artillery guys since their piping was red and they did not need to modify their patches..

Cross stitching was common with shoulder patches and rank as well. I have several 187th and 11th Airborne uniforms with cross stitching applied..

I have many of the 187th rosters, would like to see if I can find him in my rosters..

Smitty

Thats good info.. What type of Rosters do you have? Jump manifest? I have the 187th 1950 Yearbook and the 511th 1953 Yearbook.. He's in both. D Co. in the 187th.. then after returning from Korea.. Support Company 511th. Thanks for replying.. and yes pleasw let me know if you find him on another roster. Thank you

I have about 10 unit histories for the 187th. 1950 Edition, and several from Japan and Ft Campbell years. I have one I believe from Germany. I have somewhere in my collection one of the manifests, I can't recall if it is for the Sukchon-Suchon drop or the Musan Ni operation..

I also have several 11th Airborne division unit histories..

Smitty

?

It should also be borne in mind that black & white photography shows colours in tone and, particularly in older images, bold colours can sometimes appear unexpectedly light or dark.
    This is often the case when viewing German images (notably of Luftwaffe personnel, with their large collar patches), which can occasionally make identification of waffenfarbe unreliable.

I cannot swear that this is the case with this splendid photograph, and is certainly not always so, but is always a possibility.

All the best,
    Bob