Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Would love to get some help with this 101st Airborne Patch

Article about: Dear forum members/experts I really could use your help with this patch. It was sent to me by colonel X.B. Cox of the 81st Airborne Anti-Aircraft Battalion many years ago. Colonel Cox's stor

Default Would love to get some help with this 101st Airborne Patch

Dear forum members/experts

I really could use your help with this patch. It was sent to me by colonel X.B. Cox of the 81st Airborne Anti-Aircraft Battalion many years ago. Colonel Cox's story is on my website. But I really can not pin point what the date of this patch is. I am hoping that one of you can help me? It would be very much appreciated. For now have a great evening or day!

Sincerely,

Frank C. Everards

D-Day, Normandy and beyond

Would love to get some help with this 101st Airborne PatchWould love to get some help with this 101st Airborne PatchWould love to get some help with this 101st Airborne PatchWould love to get some help with this 101st Airborne Patch

Frrank

The 101st patch is a cut edge patch while the tab is merrow edged meaning that the 2 don't belong together as a set. The merrow edge tab came out post WW2 era,

The 101 patch may stand chance of being WW2 era, but these patches were worn post WW2 and into the 50's and early 60's, when the merrow edged patches came into circulation..

Phill Lockett is one of our more informed patch collectors and will be able to better explain the whole cut edge/merrowed edge patches..

Smitty

Smitty,

Thank you very much for your reply! It is appreciated. Thanks!

Frank

Hi Frank

Your patch is WWII era.Typical embroidered construction. The tab is post 1966 more likely pre 1986 before they added the adhesive backing.

As Smitty has stated , the shoulder sleeve insignia/patch is standard WWII era , if you go by Bando's site its Type 1 meaning its the typical style that is commonly seen.

You cannot pinpoint an actual date as you would need the original box it came in, which would give you the manufacturers contract details.

re below 13th Abn as an example

Would love to get some help with this 101st Airborne Patch

Now the one pictured has not been worn so it really depends on what he mentioned, did he get it and not use it or did he get it after the war as a memento? Memories fade over time. So if he gave you the tab with the patch he put it together , not to fool anyone, to him its a tab that kinda goes with the patch.

The patch should also have a matching cut edge Airborne tab, not shorter or longer , has to be exact.

Unfortunately with the passing of time patches and tabs get mixed up. So try to get an exact fit. This is with all Airborne 2 piece patches.

Would love to get some help with this 101st Airborne Patch Would love to get some help with this 101st Airborne Patch

In the end the patch is WWII era, he gave it to you, I would use the patch on your site,because it from him to you and thats more than many collectors would get.

Hope that helps.

Phill

Thank you so much for your reply and expertise it means a lot.

Frank