Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1965 British Jet pilot's helmet, RNZAF stock

Article about: I bought this helmet in the 1970's it is ex- RNZAF stock, and was never actually issued. British made, dated 1965, these were used by Royal New Zealand Air Force on aircraft like the the Can

Default 1965 British Jet pilot's helmet, RNZAF stock

I bought this helmet in the 1970's it is ex- RNZAF stock, and was never actually issued. British made, dated 1965, these were used by Royal New Zealand Air Force on aircraft like the the Canberra bomber and Venom fighter, as I understand it. US helmets were adopted with the arrival of the A-4 aircraft in early 1970's.

1965 British Jet pilot's helmet, RNZAF stock1965 British Jet pilot's helmet, RNZAF stock1965 British Jet pilot's helmet, RNZAF stock1965 British Jet pilot's helmet, RNZAF stock1965 British Jet pilot's helmet, RNZAF stock1965 British Jet pilot's helmet, RNZAF stock1965 British Jet pilot's helmet, RNZAF stock

?

Wonderful to see this,my Dad's one is back in NZ,it is white and has the visor intact.
    At some point I lost either a soft draw string bag that it was stored in,or a fabric visor cover.
    I was always disappointed that it lacked a big kiwi sticker on the side!
    It's named to him,(Graeme Barron)I have no idea how long he used it for.
    He was on Canberras at Tengah around the early 60's.
    When he passed away in 1977 the defense guys who came to "clean" the house left precious stuff like this.
    My Mum has kept everything bar his Mess Jacket which caused a big fight between us in my teens.
    Many thanks
    Kateri (Andrew Graeme Barron)

Very nice Anderson & something again we don't see everyday!!

?

That's Super Mate !
    Love it !!

?

I went looking through my photo collection and found someone wearing one similar if not the same type .

Attachment 1353304

Nice photo. I've never had the visor for the helmet which would look good on it, if I can find one.
    That's interesting Andrew about your father. The RNZAF Canberra's bombed insurgent targets during the "Malaya Emergency" in the early 1960's.

The outer helmet, (like the Soviet one on the other thread), are made of leather and painted on the outside. The leather gives some flexibility when putting the helmet on over the cloth inner helmet. Quite a different principle to a motorcycle helmet.

?

RickW,
    I love the goose.
    Canadian?Vampire or Venom,sorry I have no idea which,if either.

?

RAAF DH100 Vampire A79-215 25 Sqn Pearce WA 1963
    Squadron leader C.F. Fivash's Personal Toy
    I scanned it off one of my hard copy photos. I have lots of Vampire , Venom photos of all types if you ever need one let me know.
    Cheers Rick

...it looks like the guy underneath has cranked the pilot up out of the cockpit! :-)

I did a little checking and this is a Mark 1A helmet. They were first issued in the early 1950's for the RAF and were the first RAF helmet with a fixed visor, which came in various tints and could be locked in position. The Mk 1A was used with subsonic and supersonic aircraft such as Hunters and Lightning and continued in use to late 1970's.
    It was designed to be used with the G-type helmet (the fabric helmet inside) and a T-type oxygen mask. The Mk1A was also used with the A-13 oxygen mask and later the P-type oxygen mask.
    The Mk1A was originally issued in silver coloured shell, later examples are in matt green or grey.

1965 British Jet pilot's helmet, RNZAF stock1965 British Jet pilot's helmet, RNZAF stock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast