Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with insignia on German bomber

Article about: Hi guys, Found this nice bomber photo today and was curious about the insignia. Sadly it doesn´t show up so well in this photo but if anyone could please help in giving me a couple of clues

Jan
    ?

Default Help with insignia on German bomber

Hi guys,

Found this nice bomber photo today and was curious about the insignia. Sadly it doesn´t show up so well in this photo but if anyone could please help in giving me a couple of clues I would be very thankful.

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with insignia on German bomber  

CSW
    ?

Kampfgeschwader 30. I'm already bidding on this one due to my personal interest in the unit

Saw this panel for sale..

Farlam Airframes PRE 1945

CSW
    ?

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post

Modern artwork on original aircraft parts? That's a weird concept. Not something I would do honestly...

?

Here you go I , I scanned a photo and relevant text out of one of my old books.
    German Bombers over England - Bryan Philpott - 1978
    Hope this is of some help to you.
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1447365

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post

One for the displayer of quasi original relics for sure, but something any serious collector would cringe at !!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Here is one more KG30 photo and text I found in this book.
    Hope it helps , its a great photo
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1447367

Attachment 1447368

Jan
    ?

Here´s another Dornier photo (Do17 Z1) from the same photo lot.

The plane bears the insignia for the Finnish Bomber Squadron 46 (Pommituslentolaivue 46 or PLeLv46) is one of 15 that were given as a personal gift by Hermann Goering to the Finnish Airforce in 1941.

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with insignia on German bomber  
    Attached Images Attached Images Help with insignia on German bomber 

CSW
    ?

I was able to win the original photo (even though the price got a bit salty in the end). Will post a better picture of it here when it arrives.

There are some KG 30 shots on pages 127 and 129 of Hannu Valtonen's Luftwaffe Pictorial (Keski-Suomen Ilmailumuseon julkaisuja 7, 1998). I would recommend digging into his work if you are even just a little bit interested in wartime air operations of the Arctic front - some excellent research and reference material there

Help with insignia on German bomber

CSW
    ?

Here it is.

I happened to find another, slightly larger version of this particular photo online (along with a 3rd shot of the same aircraft), which means the example I bought is not the only one out there. The flight simulator site I found the picture on says it was taken in 1941 at "Puri" (Pori) - I think most likely during a transfer mission.

This particular emblem with the red background belongs to II./KG 30. The identification code of the aircraft in the back is for 6./KG 30 which was indeed part of II Gruppe.

According to H. Valtonen, 6 Staffel of KG 30 arrived at Kirkenes in June 1941 and moved to southern Norway in August. From December 1941 to April 1942 II./KG 30 served elsewhere before returning to Luftflotte 5. In November the whole unit was sent to the Mediterranean.

The aircraft is most certainly a Junkers Ju 88 A-1 or -5 with the correct engines for those variants. Of interest is the retrofitted 20 mm MG FF cannon sticking out of the nose. According to the source site, the aircraft code of this particular Ju 88 was 4D+LP (4D being the prefix for KG 30 aircraft and the last P for 6 Staffel). This would definitely make sense as the bomber in the background is 4D+KP.

I did not find any Ju 88s with the WNr "4376" (see nose) on Valtonen's list of accidents and casualties of the LW in Finland and N. Norway 1941-1944.

To sum it up: it's a Ju 88 A-5 or A-1 of 6./KG 30 sitting, reportedly, at Pori airfield in 1941

Help with insignia on German bomber Help with insignia on German bomber
    Last edited by CSW; 10-07-2020 at 09:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast