Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The last two surviving Stukas........

Article about: As many of you know, there are only two intact Junkers Ju87 Stukas left from the Second World War. One is in the RAF Museum at Hendon, London. The other in in the Chicago Museum of Science a

?

Default The last two surviving Stukas........

As many of you know, there are only two intact Junkers Ju87 Stukas left from the Second World War. One is in the RAF Museum at Hendon, London. The other in in the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry.

Purely by chance I have had the opportunity to see both this year so here they are in the same thread. The one on the ground is in London, the one suspended in desert camouflage is in Chicago.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The last two surviving Stukas........   The last two surviving Stukas........  

The last two surviving Stukas........   The last two surviving Stukas........  

The last two surviving Stukas........  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thanks for posting Adrian, these really are iconic aircraft from WW2, pity that none are now flying, I would love to see one in the air.

The Chicago Stuka was off display for a few years due to the fact that it actually fell from it's suspension one evening when the museum was closed. I hope you had a chance to visit the U-505 while visiting the museum.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Ive seen both as well (and posted pics of the Chicago Stuka).
    I vividly remember visiting Hendon many years ago.
    I was one of very few visiors by chance.
    As I had politely greeted a 'curator' upon arriving, he engaged me in conversation.
    I assume, that he was bored.
    He even said, that I could appoach the Stuka in the area right next to the plane normally off-limits to visitors as one is not usually allowed to touch the airplane.

I assume you checked out the Sub in Chicago as well?

?

Good thread. I love the pictures.

That should be great! I almost had a chance to go to chicago this spring but it looks like it's not going to happen. Would have been great to see the Stuka and U505.

Quote by Panzersaurus View Post
    That should be great! I almost had a chance to go to chicago this spring but it looks like it's not going to happen. Would have been great to see the Stuka and U505.
    The stuka and the U505 is a must see.
    There is always a line to see the U505.
    chris

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    chris
    I might have to make a road trip to Chicago some day. We can part take in some cold adult beverages and I'd love to see that civic helmet collection you have

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    chris
    Yes U505 would have definitely been the highlight of the museum, if not the whole trip! I had a relative who was a U-boat captain so U-boats are a special interest of mine. Hopefully I will get to see a real U-boat before I die, but until then I will just have to settle for models and pictures on the Internet.

?

Yes, I did see U-505. Unfortunately I couldn't go on board as it was a sell out and because the visit to the museum was only agreed upon the day before, I didn't have the chance or realise it had to be booked in advance. It was sold out on the day.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast