Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mystery aircraft parts. Identification help needed

Article about: Hello. I have unearthed some aircraft parts, some with numbers and one with patent number (the piece that would have been mounted to fuselage to guide piping). I am pretty sure they are all

Default Mystery aircraft parts. Identification help needed

Hello. I have unearthed some aircraft parts, some with numbers and one with patent number (the piece that would have been mounted to fuselage to guide piping). I am pretty sure they are all from the same aircraft and I suspect that the items may be either B-17 Flying Fortress or B-24 Liberator as they are from the St Lo (Northern France) area. I would really appreciate some help in knowing for sure, and if it is possible to know the precise aircraft specifically, that would be amazing. One of the pieces is very badly distorted but some markings are visible. I know what the starting button cover is, but what are the other items? I really hope that someone can help. I look forward to any advice or questions as well. Kind regards. Francis ATTACH=CONFIG]1104353[/ATTACH]Mystery aircraft parts. Identification help neededMystery aircraft parts. Identification help neededMystery aircraft parts. Identification help neededMystery aircraft parts. Identification help neededMystery aircraft parts. Identification help needed
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery aircraft parts. Identification help needed   Mystery aircraft parts. Identification help needed  

Mystery aircraft parts. Identification help needed   Mystery aircraft parts. Identification help needed  

Mystery aircraft parts. Identification help needed   Mystery aircraft parts. Identification help needed  

The part with Adel and the patent number is a conduit support, it would be used for hydraulic and fuel pipes etc!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    The part with Adel and the patent number is a conduit support, it would be used for hydraulic and fuel pipes etc!...

Hi 'Gunny Hartmann' thank you for that. I had already realised what that piece did, but I was hoping that someone might be able point me in the direction of a specific aircraft that may have used these parts. I DO like the diagram you uploaded though ;-) I have quite a few other pieces from this craft, but unfortunately nothing with numbers or give away markings. I was also hoping that the large 'beam' type structural piece might be identifiable as there are several numbers on it. As it happens, I didn't actually dig this myself, but found it as a 'surface find' previously dug up. I almost left it myself, it didn't look like this when I found it. It cleaned up really well and Im quite proud of it now. Would really like to know what it came from, then maybe find the story behind it. I almost suspect it may have exploded in the air, (full bomb load)? as its really large, and it would have taken considerable force....... it's actually shattered rather than bent, and these parts were found over a very large area. Thank you again for taking the time. Kind regards. Francis.

After some further internet searching it seems the parts with a number prefixed with 82 are from a Lockheed P2v Neptune, the French navy operated these for a while so that explains being found in northern France!...

Aviation Archaeology - Part Number Prefix By Manufacturer

After some further internet searching it seems the parts with a number prefixed with 82 are from a Lockheed P2v Neptune, the French navy operated these for a while so that explains being found in northern France!...

Hi 'Gunny Hartmann'. Thank you immensely for your help in identification. I would never have thought of this aircraft in a million years. As it's not the most common of craft and as there were literally thousands of B-17 and B-24s in the area it was an obvious (to me at least) assumption that it was one of those. I also assumed (wrongly as it turns out) that the 'B' before numbers may have indicated 'Boeing'. It's not that I can't be bothered to do the investigating that you have done, it's just that internet/computers are not my forte. Do you mind if I ask you how you started in your search to ID these parts? Any advice and pointers in the right direction for future investigating would be a great help. Thank you again, have a nice day. Kind regards. Francis.

Hi again 'Gunny Hartmann'. I just used the 'Aviation Archeaology - part number' .....etc so I get where you obtained ID from now. Duuuur 😳 Told you I was rubbish on a computer. Thanks again. If there are other similar sites for ID or specific places where 'exploded views' (no pun intended) aircraft can be found, please let me know. Kind regards. Francis.

82- is a north american B-25

Quote by fiftycal View Post
    82- is a north american B-25
    Hi fiftycal. If that's 100% that makes more sense and I can believe that. Excellent and thanks for your help. This is a bit rushed as literally leaving house for France as your message arrived. Kind regards. Francis

Strange that both aircraft have the same parts prefix!....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast