Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Propeller relic fragment

Article about: I got another aircraft relic in the mail today. This is a relic section of an aircraft propeller, and it was supposedly recovered from the Pitomnik airfield in Stalingrad. The construction o

Default Propeller relic fragment

I got another aircraft relic in the mail today. This is a relic section of an aircraft propeller, and it was supposedly recovered from the Pitomnik airfield in Stalingrad. The construction of it is interesting. It a wooden propeller covered by some type of heavy duty plastic, and on one side I can see a few numbers. My guess is that it came off of a Fi156, but theres really no telling what plane its from. If the story about it being found at the Pitomnik airfield is true, I would guess its from a German plane. Many Luftwaffe planes were wrecked/destroyed there. Anyways, I thought I would share it with you guys. Let me know what you think.

Best regards- Jarret

Propeller relic fragmentPropeller relic fragmentPropeller relic fragment

Here are some better photos.

Best regards- Jarret

Propeller relic fragmentPropeller relic fragment

Are you sure it's part of a propeller? To my eye it doesn't really look like it is. Wooden aircraft propellers would be laminated sections of wood. But it may be a part of an aircraft, some Russian aircraft of the 1940's were still partly made of wood I seem to remember. Part of an early Lavochkin?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Are you sure it's part of a propeller? To my eye it doesn't really look like it is. Wooden aircraft propellers would be laminated sections of wood. But it may be a part of an aircraft, some Russian aircraft of the 1940's were still partly made of wood I seem to remember. Part of an early Lavochkin?
    I think its a part of a propeller, but I could be off though. Im just judging by the looks of it, and the sellers description. I do think the construction of it is interesting. Like you said most wooden aircraft propellers are laminated wood. This is wood, but its encased in some type of hard wax like plastic. It could possibly be from a Lavochkin, that would be cool.

Best regards- Jarret

Hi Jarret

Must say...your passion for militaria from helmets to airplane parts is unmatched. I don't know what this is...but I am glad you are enjoying it & for me, it's always a thrill to get something new in the mail !!

Thank you!! Yes I like to dabble in a bit of everything German WW2 related LoL. I couldn't agree more! Always exiting to see a package sitting next to your front door.

Best regards- Jarret