MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

What the Hack !? Painting of Ki-61 Hien "Tony" with Skids !!!

Article about: Hi Guys, This is something new and bizarre for me, at least. This came from x-bay and there is a painting of IJA fighter Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien "Tony" with skids ! I've never seen or

Default What the Hack !? Painting of Ki-61 Hien "Tony" with Skids !!!

Hi Guys,

This is something new and bizarre for me, at least.

This came from x-bay and there is a painting of IJA fighter Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien "Tony" with skids !

I've never seen or heard of such variation before, at the bottom right corner wrote December, 1943. At Okadama (Hokkaido) Air Base.

WWII Japanese Framed Military Art Print Signed | eBay

What the Hack !? Painting of  Ki-61 Hien "Tony" with Skids !!! What the Hack !? Painting of  Ki-61 Hien "Tony" with Skids !!! 

What the Hack !? Painting of  Ki-61 Hien "Tony" with Skids !!! What the Hack !? Painting of  Ki-61 Hien "Tony" with Skids !!!

What do you guys think???

Regards,
    Taka

?

I like it a lot Taka-san ! A lot of history going way back hundreds of years is gleaned from period artwork and paintings such as dress style and ways of life in those times ! I think this could be a clever local winter variation , same as they would use in say , the Arctic ! It certainly doesn't look out of place ! tThanks for showing this
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Quote by Alan M View Post
    I like it a lot Taka-san ! A lot of history going way back hundreds of years is gleaned from period artwork and paintings such as dress style and ways of life in those times ! I think this could be a clever local winter variation , same as they would use in say , the Arctic ! It certainly doesn't look out of place ! tThanks for showing this
    Thank you Alan-san !

If this is a genuine variation, that will be a new discovery !

Very interesting, indeed!

Merry Christmas !!

Cheers!
    Taka

I was reading on the ww2aircraft.net website that many countries had military aircraft on skis. The one mention of a Japanese plane being on them was for the Ki-51 Sonya, so it is entirely plausible for the Ki-61 to have been so developed also. Quite interesting-something I had never considered before. Not only small fighters but some very large planes like the US C-130 were also ski equipped.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I have seen a picture of a Ki-43 Oscar on skis,it was said to have been used in Manchuoko.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

I've seen one as well.

However, they need a longer run-way in order to take off.

I forgot which Japanese aircraft, when the skids were installed, the weight was increased that in won't able to take off, just basically skiing on the snow.

That' s why adding skis was a short-lived method.

Regards,
    Taka

?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Nice one zwerge, thanks !

I was searching with "Japanese aircraft with skis", and couldn't find any.

What the Hack !? Painting of  Ki-61 Hien "Tony" with Skids !!!

Cheers!
    Taka