Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unmarked Allgmeines Sturmabzeichen - Is it possible to identify maker?

Article about: Hi all Is it possible to identify the maker of this badge? I know some people's immense knowledge is enough to tell at a glance! Cheers all Tom

Default Unmarked Allgmeines Sturmabzeichen - Is it possible to identify maker?

Hi all

Is it possible to identify the maker of this badge? I know some people's immense knowledge is enough to tell at a glance!

Cheers all
    Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unmarked Allgmeines Sturmabzeichen - Is it possible to identify maker?
    P
    Many

Hello,

even though I am in no way as experienced as other members I believe this is the unknown maker 7 in Frank Heukemes Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen book.

It is very similar to unknown maker 8 who is now assumed to be F&BL ("Funke und Brüninghaus").
    In the book it mentions that 7 and 8 are assumed to be different makers mainly because of their catch and differing quality.
    I do not know if it has been determined if unknown maker 7 is also F&BL.

Here is my unknown maker 8 GAB.

Please correct any mistakes I may have made,

John

Last edited by Idkanything; 05-29-2024 at 04:46 PM.

Hi John

Thank you very much for your reply and insight. I would say your username of Idkanything is a tad unfair!

Interesting two of the variants are so similar. Your example is much cleaner than mine, nice piece. Thank you for sharing.

Cheers
    Tom

(Small correction: mine is a unknown maker 8 GAB, I will edit my original comment)

I choose that username so people know they have to deal with a very new collector, maybe over time I will regret that name though.

Regarding the differing quality:
    Unknown maker 7 had worse finish retainment and maybe yours is also a later variant which would also impact the quality of the badge over all.
    Mine is a early mid war example (it was awarded in March 1942) which was definitely worn.
    However the person who received it mainly acted as a radio operator, contributing to its cleaner condition.

John

Thanks for the clarification John, its useful to know. I am not in possession of said book but its re-assuring to know my example is a known version of the badge.

Shame about the condition of mine and deffo a later war Zinc example as you say but can't say I mind the very 'worn' look as it gives it some 'been there' character.

Interesting you know so much about your recipient, did the badge come with further paperwork and research of the soldier? I would be interested to hear more

Here the pages from the book I own but it is written in german.

My badge is from a bigger grouping, awarded to a then Obergefreiter, later a Unteroffizier, here is the award document with the badge,
    signed by Generalmajor Rudolf-Eduard Licht:

From my findings up to this point this is his career:
    First part of the 27. Infanterie Division he took part in the Anschluss of Austria, his divison entered Vienna on 13.03.1938.
    During the Poland campaign he was part of Heeresgruppe Süd and (presumably) wounded for the first time there. (The award document for the BWB is missing)
    The divison did not see too much action in the attack on France, only later on being moved to the frontlines as part of the 12. Army.

After this he was regrouped into the 17. Panzer Divison (11.10.1940).
    The 27. Artillery Regiment was made into the Artillerie-Regiment (mot.) 27 on the 11.10.1940. The last change was renaming it into the Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment 27 (09.05.1942)

In that unit he would serve atleast until September 1944, at one point he was withdrawn from the front and moved to a position in the rear, training new troops.
    During the last week of the war he deserted to Munich, where his mother lived and remained there until the war ended.
    Once it was over he traveled on foot to his sweetheart for two whole days, meeting her on the 09.05.1945, his birthday.

This is as far as I was able to get as of right now, with more information hopefully to come soon when I manage reading his diarys.
    Last edited by Idkanything; 05-31-2024 at 12:03 PM.

Thank you very much for the photo's they are greatly appreciated.

From my findings up to this point this is his career:
    First part of the 27. Infanterie Division he took part in the Anschluss of Austria, his divison entered Vienna on 13.03.1938.
    During the Poland campaign he was part of Heeresgruppe Süd and (presumably) wounded for the first time there. (The award document for the BWB is missing)
    The divison did not see too much action in the attack on France, only later on being moved to the frontlines as part of the 12. Army.

After this he was regrouped into the 17. Panzer Divison (11.10.1940).
    The 27. Artillery Regiment was made into the Artillerie-Regiment (mot.) 27 on the 11.10.1940. The last change was renaming it into the Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment 27 (09.05.1942)

In that unit he would serve atleast until semptember 1944, at one point he was withdrawn from the front and moved to a position in the rear, training new troops.
    During the last week of the war he deserted to Munich, where his mother lived and remained there until the war ended.
    Once it was over he traveled on foot to his sweetheart for two whole days, meeting her on the 09.05.1945, his birthday.

This is as far as I was able to get as of right now, with more information hopefully to come soon when I manage reading his diarys.
    Also this is an excellent set of research you have, how amazing to have this alongside a badge that would otherwise have a completely untraceable history!

Thank you very much, I am really fond of that badge.
    Next on my list are all the other badges (infantry, tank, flak and so on).

Hi John

Best of luck in your hunt for them. I acquired examples of both of these myself within the last year if you would like to see my examples?

My Infanterie badge is in pretty rough shape again with the 'been there' look and the Zinc is in poor condition with no finish but I quite like it for this and I believe it is a fairly desirable maker (Ferdinand Weidmann). After all an Infantry assault badge implies a 'been there' experience...

My Panzer badge is in much better shape and a Friedrich Linden 'FLL43' example.

Let me know!

Tom

I took a look at your profile and only saw the Panzer assault badge, nice example with the die flaw which is visible on different badges as well from reading a bit through the forum.
    So if you could post it I would greatly appreciate a look at your infantry assault badge.

I will try to get a example in better condition, I have some different reasons for that.
    1. I like the more prestine look
    2. It is for a grouping of a family member, his medals were stolen in the 90s as far as I know so I am currently trying to "rebuild" his medal set.
    The badge was only on his death card and I sadly have no award document or picture with him wearing it. My guess is that he received it shortly before his death, contributing to less wear.