Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Avro Lancaster SR-R "DV276"

Article about: I have just purchased from Germany a box of aircraft relics which were collected from a crash site. It is supposed to be remains of a Lancaster bomber of No. 101 Sqn RAF, which crashed on th

?

Default Avro Lancaster SR-R "DV276"

I have just purchased from Germany a box of aircraft relics which were collected from a crash site. It is supposed to be remains of a Lancaster bomber of No. 101 Sqn RAF, which crashed on the Nuremberg raid on 31 March 1944. I done a bit of research and I believe it to be the Lancaster SR-R "DV276” flown by Pilot Officer John Batten-Smith D.F.C. He was shot down by Oberleutnant Helmuth Schulte of II./NJG 5 near the autobahn at Röthenbach, which is 16 kilometres East North East of Nürnberg. The person who excavated the crash site did so at the location of AK Kreuz Nürnberg Ost, which is about where Batten-Smith crashed. It is No 101 Squadrons 100th anniversary this year I would like to present their association with some genuine relics from one of their squadrons Lancasters. If the members of this forum could help me with the identification of the aircraft parts, it would be a great help, and perhaps in a small way Honor the memory of those who flew with No. 101 Squadron.

I think I should warn you I believe there are some late Spitfire parts in the collection; I found a Hispano shell casing, and there are parts for both a Lancaster and a Halifax from 1943. It might be difficult to find the genuine 101 Squadron parts.

Dennis

Avro Lancaster SR-R "DV276"

?

I have just finished photographing the green painted parts of the relics; maybe someone could recognize some of them.

Dennis

Pictures 1-2 front and back

Pictures 3-4 front and back

Avro Lancaster SR-R "DV276" Avro Lancaster SR-R "DV276"

?

Some more items maybe someone can help identify?

?

I'm sure someone here will be able to help. Good luck with your research.

Tony