Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cartridge case identification

Article about: Found these near Berlin. I haven’t found ones like these before. Large group of them together. No discernible markings although one may have “33” or “53” on it. Help appreciated.

?

Default Cartridge case identification

Found these near Berlin. I haven’t found ones like these before. Large group of them together. No discernible markings although one may have “33” or “53” on it. Help appreciated.
    Cartridge case identificationCartridge case identificationCartridge case identificationCartridge case identification

They look like either 8×50mmR Mannlicher or 8×56mmR cases, used in the Steyr M1895 and M95/30 rifles respectively. The '33' makes the latter more likely, which would make them interwar cartridges from the First Austrian Republic (1919-1934). When Austria was annexed in March 1938, so was their army, and all military equipment became de-facto property of the Wehrmacht. M95 rifles would have been issued to second-line troops due to their relative obsolescence, but by the time of the Battle of Berlin they would have been press-ganged into use with frontline units due to equipment shortages. It's possible these cartridges were fired by units of the Volkssturm, though of course there's no way to prove that.

They could also be Russian 7.62x54mmR rounds, but they don't look tall enough.

Cartridge case identificationCartridge case identification

B.B.

Most likely Soviet 7.62 x 54 mm cases.

If the cases measure 54 mm in length you have it!

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Here`s an 8x50R,an 8x56R,and a 7.62x53R,my money`s on the Russian......Pete.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cartridge case identification  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

7.62mm is my first choice.

Quote by vegetius View Post
    7.62mm is my first choice.
    My money is on the 7.62 x 54 Soviet round too.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Here`s a picture of all the rimmed cartridges used in WW2.....Pete.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cartridge case identification  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

The second from the left looks really lovely!

These are 8mm french Lebel (second from the right on the bullet pic from zwerge)