Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Covenanter tank recovery

Article about: a couple of years ago i heard of a covenanter buried at denbies vineyard in dorking but did nothing about it until january this year when i hired a proton magnetometer and went down with my

?

Quote by Gimmie View Post
    I wouldnt imagine them burying the usable turret with the tank, right?
    I wouldn't imagine them burying the tank in the first place. Its a British tank in Britain. Why not take it back to base then scrape it. Then again they were at a vineyard and I myself have had some great ideas after drinking several bottles of wine .

Semper Fi
    Phil

phil i happened to have two turrets at my yard in manchester

?

Eddy,
    So what is the story behind why they buried these there?

Semper Fi
    Phil

not uncommon actually. once a tank has been declared obsolete or unfit for service they often end up on the training areas. this one was part of the dorking gap defenses and was used by the canadian infantry and home guard units for expolsive demolition training. the left side is hammered but the right side is untouchedCovenanter  tank  recovery

the trouble with a dead tank is they take a lot of moving and back in the day they just didn't have the will or time to do it. it may also have been the units responsibility to dispose of the kit they have signed for. much easier to dig a hole and push it in. problem solved

although the left side was smashed the overall condition was amazing (considering it had been buried for 70 years) it still had original paint and unit markings
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Covenanter  tank  recovery  

it now sits to the side of the car park exit at denbies vineyard if anyone wants to visit it.
    Covenanter  tank  recovery

?

I was under the impression that there were meant to be more on this site. Will you be looking further?

Hopefully the owners of the Vineyard will put a roof over it and or cosmetically restore it.

"suggs from madness helped" not bloody likely, the history channel bunch got involved because the vineyard wanted the publicity. they slowed the whole process down and turned it into a circus. i footed the bill for everything and when i asked them to help out financially i was told they could only spare £150 and they still haven't even paid that yet. bunch of tossers and no mistake. they have then gone about claiming the tank was found by a group of archeologists and the dig was lead by suggs and the whole thing was commissioned for the new series. i am not happy.
    anyway all's well that ends well and the tank did get recovered and that's all that matters.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast