Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Decorated WW1 shells

Article about: First off im new to these forums so hi all. Secondly im wondering if anyone can tell me the story behind a couple of old (what i think are) artillery shells. They are dated 1917 and 1919 and

dancalx
    ?

Default Decorated WW1 shells

First off im new to these forums so hi all.

Secondly im wondering if anyone can tell me the story behind a couple of old (what i think are) artillery shells.

They are dated 1917 and 1919 and are decorated with images of flowers. One of them has the signature of a luitenant whom I cant name atm as they are not around and I cant remember

Ive drawn a quick diagram in paint for you to see.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Decorated WW1 shells  

Default Re: Decorated WW1 shells

Hi Dancalx

Welcome to the forum. The decorated WWI shells or 'trench art' were made by the soldiers during WWI. After the war some people continued making trench art to sell them to battlefield tourists.

I have some nicely decorated ones at home, they are all from the 'Yser' front. If interested you can send me a PM...

Greetz

Nick VR

?

normally its what they call trench art these were made out old artillery shells & alike buy the soldiers in the trenches during WW1 hence the name trench art hope this helps & welcome to the forum

damn it to slow

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The design you have shown is typical and was a common theme. The workmanship on some of these items is very good.

Trench art can make a great collection and is still an affordable way to collect.

Cheers, Ade.

dancalx
    ?

thanks for the explanations, I actualy found them on the side of the road during verge pickup when everyone throws out thier trash.

Will have to see if I can find out anything about the guy who signed it.

Thanks again

Can you take any photos of the shells ?

I would like to see the headstamps (the markings on the base) if you can. These will tell you an awful lot about the shell itself.

Trench art is not everyones cup of tea. I, for instance, find most trench art to be a waste of a perfectly good historical item. Others say it ADDS to the history of the shell. If you like them, they are definitely easier to find than the type I like !

Steve T