Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Identification assistance please

Article about: A few items found in Berlin woods. Would appreciate your help in identifying.. 1. Saw a YouTube video where someone found similar but didn’t catch their opinion on what it was. Appears to

?

Default Identification assistance please

A few items found in Berlin woods. Would appreciate your help in identifying..
    1. Saw a YouTube video where someone found similar but didn’t catch their opinion on what it was. Appears to have a rubber covering.
    Identification assistance pleaseIdentification assistance pleaseIdentification assistance pleaseIdentification assistance please

2. Found same item in two different places plus fragments on quite a few battle sites
    Identification assistance pleaseIdentification assistance please

?

#1 looks like seriously corroded Battery pack.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Thanks Phil. Wartime or modern?

?

Your welcome Yeti,
    That would be a tough call since the carbon-zinc type batteries have been around since the late 1890's. 1898 to be exact for the D cell type.

I am not familiar with WW2 type battery packs so I will defer this to those who are more knowledgeable about that subject.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Yeti,
    Again the item you have no idea what it is, (it is a battery) has been picked up and recovered.

Simple rule:

RULE NUMBER ONE. If you don't know what it is do not touch!

If you wish to photograph it in situ, ask advice get an identification and recover later then fine but touching without knowing can result in a bad case of requiring hospital treatment or the services of a funeral director. I can guarantee you that no ammunition has ever functioned by being looked at likewise being photographed, (although the use of a flash with some modern natures is not a good thing).

Please try to get it the right way round as myself and my colleagues hate having to deal with people who get it wrong.

Oh and a lead acid battery on your carpet at home is not recommended either.

?

Thanks Vegetius. In my defence this is a find from when I first started digging a year ago. Since joining the forum I have learned a lot and have definitely changed my habits. I always take direction from those with more experience and knowledge than myself. Really appreciate the point being re emphasised though.