Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lockheed P.38J Lightning.

Article about: I am hoping some of the Forum members can help me out with the propeller blade and boss that I have just picked up. The chap I got it from said his Grandfather got it from the site where a P

Default Lockheed P.38J Lightning.

I am hoping some of the Forum members can help me out with the propeller blade and boss that I have just picked up. The chap I got it from said his Grandfather got it from the site where a P.38J Lightning has crashed. I have no reason to disbelieve him, but I would just like to know if what I have is the correct type of blade etc for the aircraft. I would like to display it with the aircrafts story but don't want someone coming up to me and saying that its from a civilian aircraft from the 60's. The only marking I could find is on towards the tip of the blade.So if anyone with some info can let me know what they think on this it would be much appreciated. There is definite damage to the boss and possibly a projectile strike on the blade itself. It comes from a farm about a mile away from the crash site so there is always a good chance it all adds up.... but I would like to know before its displayed.
    All the best from Jersey,
    D

Sorry I cannot rotate the picture.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lockheed P.38J Lightning.   Lockheed P.38J Lightning.  

?

From its shape I would say it is very probably a P-38 propeller. I have a lot of experience as I used to work with Lefty Gardner on his P 38 l-5 used in air shows and racing and now owned but Red Bull. This propeller is also similar to the propeller used on the P 40. Without a closeup of the propeller boss it is hard to tell any more but i would love to have it in my collection good find!

P-51 PROP BLADE FOR SALE / AUTHENTIC P-51 MUSTANG PROPELLER BLADE SCULPTURE

You can send a mail to the young woman!!!

Michel
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/