Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Me109 Exhaust Stub Relic from Battle of Britain Loss.

Article about: Hi Guys, This is second item bought from Kent dealer at our local show. Its an exhaust stub from an Me109E-1 Werke Number 6218 "Brown 2" of JG51 pilot possibly Gefreiter J.Hergefel

Default Me109 Exhaust Stub Relic from Battle of Britain Loss.

Hi Guys, This is second item bought from Kent dealer at our local show. Its an exhaust stub from an Me109E-1 Werke Number 6218 "Brown 2" of JG51 pilot possibly Gefreiter J.Hergefeld lost on 27th November 1940. The remains of the pilot could not be positively identified so Gefr Hergefeld is still officially listed as missing though it is very likely he was the pilot of this aircraft. Does anyone know anything further or have any photos relating to the pilot??? Attachment 855825It was lost during fighter action but no further details. I managed to get this for £22 which was good I thought. Regards Tim.

not nit picking but its not a BoB relic,its outside the time period.July to 31 of oct.

What has since become known as The Forgotten Months of the Battle of Britain by some historians and authors

The Blitz Then and Now Vol 2 page 301, has the following ...
    Lost in combat with Spitfires of 41 and 74 Sqn at 3.35pm,believed to have crashed at Sarnden Farm,Iden Green,Kent, Gefr J Hergefeld missing. Aircraft Brown 2+ destroyed.
    Parts recovered by Steve Vizard and subsequently displayed at the Brenzett Museum. Peter Foote found a piece of airframe with a large figure 2 in a brown or dark yellow colour,
    this provided a clue to the identity of the pilot who was buried as an unknown airman in Beneden church yard.
    Later being exhumed and reinterred at Cannock Chase still as unknown Block 1 grave 82. Sounds like he is unlucky not to have a positive id....
    Hope this helps, also as an aside, a sister aircraft from 3/JG51 shot down on this day "Brown 5" Wn 1653 was sent to New Zealand as a War Bond fund raiser , lasting till the 1970s when it was broken up.

Kind Regards Mike
    Last edited by VERSUCH; 07-04-2015 at 04:48 AM. Reason: info

Thanks Mike for the info. Very sad that this warrior of the skies could not be given a positive id but this happened a lot during those long years of war. Regards Tim.