Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mortar fin dangers

Article about: Hi. Could anyone tell me if any part of this tail fin still has explosives in it? I reburied it but found a few and, if safe, would like to take one. It was dug up in Berlin area. German or

?

Default Mortar fin dangers

Hi. Could anyone tell me if any part of this tail fin still has explosives in it? I reburied it but found a few and, if safe, would like to take one. It was dug up in Berlin area. German or Russian? Thanks.Mortar fin dangersMortar fin dangersMortar fin dangers

CBH
    ?

A mortar is propelled by powder charge held in the bottom of the fins, in a brass case with primer, similar to a 12 gauge shotgun shell base without shot. From the photos it looks spent, but you could carefully clean the base with a soft brush to make sure it’s been fired. It should have a pin strike in the centre, like a spent brass shell casing.

CSW
    ?

As said above.

I would also like to add I certainly hope you inform the authorities of suspicious, possibly dangerous finds instead of only reburying them for other (black or not) diggers to stumble upon. I cannot stress enough how important it is to be careful with wartime ammunition.

You should have seen the stuff that was dug up when they were working on the U bahn on Unter Den Linden, the ordnance disposal people were called out every couple of days.
    The golden rule when you find stuff like this is to leave it alone and report it.

?

Thanks for the info. Yes, anything I find is compass referenced and reported .