Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Omaha Beach Armour Penetrating Round

Article about: Good Afternoon Guys My friend sent me this image of a round he found in the Omaha Beach area in a spot of small woodland. It is black tipped so I assume it is armour penetrating? If anyone h

Default Omaha Beach Armour Penetrating Round

Good Afternoon Guys

My friend sent me this image of a round he found in the Omaha Beach area in a spot of small woodland.
    It is black tipped so I assume it is armour penetrating?

If anyone has any further information on it, it would be much appreciated. I believe it could be from an aircraft as it looks too big for a handheld weapon.

Thanks All

Jonny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Omaha Beach Armour Penetrating Round  

US 50 calibre boat tail round from an MG. Yes black tip is AP.

?

Yes a .50 and here is what they look like when they contact something hard.
    Omaha Beach Armour Penetrating Round.

I found these on a aerial bombing range that was also used during WW2 by Patton's army prior to going overseas.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I do not see any rifling on the bullet, so not fired.

I do not think I would expect to still see rifling marks on a ground dug item but do not know for sure. Also depends on the condition of the barrel when fired. A wore out barrel does not leave much for marks.
    John

?

Quote by m151dave View Post
    I do not see any rifling on the bullet, so not fired.
    Dave there is rifling on the ones I show. Some are very faint. Other's I've found are very distinct . I was thinking along the same lines as John(Rescue190) has mentioned. They were fired from worn out barrel's. You also have to keep in mind that these also were fired into sand. The abrasive act of sand on soft metal is quite obvious when you use sandpaper on copper!!

Also take note of the Tungsten Carbine steel inserts on the ones I show and how much of an impact the corrosion has had on it after 75+ years. Those I was quite surprised at!!!
    If the element's can have that effect on steel you have to keep in mind the softness of copper.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

I have a jar full of 45, 30 and 50 Cal rounds I dug out of firing range wall (old rail road ties) with a pocket knife when I was a kid. Not all had visible rifling on them.

Now....to figure out where that jar is....haven't seen it in many years but it's somewhere in the house.....

Edit: The "range" was on an abandoned military base (Mitchel Field) where they sighted in the guns of the planes as well as ground based weapons. We dug out hundreds as kids. My Mother threw most away when I went off to college but missed one small jar
    Last edited by MAP; 11-03-2019 at 04:53 AM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)