Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ordinance items?

Article about: Morning everyone I came across these two items in Berlin woods and was hoping someone could identify them. I believe the small thing could be spent ordinance, maybe a rifle grenade, but woul

?

Default Ordinance items?

Ordinance items?Morning everyone

I came across these two items in Berlin woods and was hoping someone could identify them. I believe the small thing could be spent ordinance, maybe a rifle grenade, but would you consider it safe?
    The second item I thought maybe a shell but seemed like it might be hollow (I didn’t want to poke around it too much!) and the round ring thing was near it in the same hole. I think I’ve found one of these rings before.
    Any clarity of these things would be greatly appreciated.
    Attachment 1451068Attachment 1451069Attachment 1451070Attachment 1451071Attachment 1451072Ordinance items?Ordinance items?Ordinance items?

?

Sorry, computer problems! The top photo is actually with the second item.

Quote by yeti View Post
    Sorry, computer problems! The top photo is actually with the second item.
    Can't help with the ID but I know the woods around Berlin and they were never 100% cleared at the end of the war. I remember a young German lad finding a cache of German hand grenades in The Gruenewald close to the boundary between the US and British sectors.

Sadly, he didn't get any older!

Under the Allied Government at the time it was strictly forbidden to dig in the woods in any circumstances. We could only do so in designated "range areas" that were extensively cleared. I think the law is probably just as strict today.

So at the risk of stating the obvious. Please be very careful. There was so much ordnance lying about there at the end that there could be absolutely anything under just a couple of inches of soil!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-19-2020 at 10:00 AM. Reason: ty
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thanks Mark.
    I’m always very cautious with anything that looks dodgy. Amazes me when I watch some of the diggers on YouTube how casual they are with live munitions!

Yeti,

To augment what Mark says as a professional, (who still has all his limbs and digits) touching is a very bad thing! However your comment "I’m always very cautious with anything that looks dodgy." If you are asking if something is Ordnance then you should not touch it.

R

?

Thanks for the advice. To be honest I actually thought it was modern trash as I pulled it out. The small shell(?) looked spent so considered safe to handle. But I will always treat all items I find with respect and caution. That’s what I love about this forum. I’ve only been detecting for a short while and I’m getting such an education on here so thanks so much for all the advice.