MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Please tell me these are aircraft pieces?

Article about: by cornishboy These are awsome finds,well done Bratacas for recovering them.Looking forward to seeing what the experts think the aircraft involved are the first object shown in todays pics o

I'm guessing but could be a foot release for something like the rear turret. Defo aircraft again.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    I'm guessing but could be a foot release for something like the rear turret. Defo aircraft again.
    You know looking at the video again, I'm beginning to think what we're looking at here is the remains of a gun turret. Take a close look at the exploded diagram below and compare the parts therein to those on the beach.

The 'handle bars' looking assembly seen at around 0.47 onwards looks remarkably like part #10 in the diagram, the "sight arm". The suspected bomb hoist could be the turret "hand rotation gear"(#52) and "hydraulic motor"(#51) and many other pieces shown in the video seem to closely resemble various parts of the turret frame and it's working components in the video.

I'm not saying it's exactly an FN120 rear turret as seen in the schematic, but it might be another type (FN4) or other make like Boulton & Paul. What do you think looking at the video as a whole, could it be?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

big ned I have an imgur album of the parts here if you're interested, would be amazing if it was a gun turret:

Bomber aircraft chunks washed up - Album on Imgur

Quote by brataccas View Post
    big ned I have an imgur album of the parts here if you're interested, would be amazing if it was a gun turret:

Bomber aircraft chunks washed up - Album on Imgur
    Hmmm....Looking at the new pic's I'm not so sure now. The 'handle bars' looking bit looks a lot larger in them and the bend in them appears to be damage and not deliberately fabricated like that. Also the other parts seem far more heavy and robustly constructed for strength than I would imagine those for a turret, perhaps more like those where structural strength was required such as the aircraft centre section, spar/wings, or bomb bay which again brings us back to the bomb winch theory. Oh well, God loves a trier.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I'm pretty sure the X looking item is part of the Wellington wing.

look at the wellington leg contruction of the photo I found off the net and compare it to the part that is on the beach, matches?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please tell me these are aircraft pieces?   Please tell me these are aircraft pieces?  

It's covered back up with rocks and sand damnit

Dug the metal washed up for ages today and hammered away all the rocks stuck to it, bigger than I thought, I have revealed a lever which still moves freely, does this give a better idea what this may be?

edit: video demonstrating the level moving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6rIIj0GN4

video showing details revealed and update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUR15DmRhaM
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please tell me these are aircraft pieces?   Please tell me these are aircraft pieces?  

Please tell me these are aircraft pieces?   Please tell me these are aircraft pieces?  

Last edited by brataccas; 02-12-2017 at 08:58 PM.

The more I look at this lump the more I think it looks like a chassis. It looks similar to Jeep but it isn't from a willys of GPW (nothing like my jeep) but could be something like an MG or other British small sports car.

ye its a vintage car, got it verified, the "bomb hoist" is a lunax shock absorber

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast